Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Good FTP program?

Quote Reply
Good FTP program?
Hi,

I'm now on my new PC <G>

Unfortunatly, my license (for upgrdes) has expired for CuteFTP Pro - andI'm not happy with buying a new license, cos its never been that good (crashed a lot :()

Has anyone got any good suggestions?

Things I need:

SFTP/FTP
Inline editor (unlike some programs, which opens in WordPad and such)

Anyone got any good suggestions? =)

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Good FTP program? In reply to
I really like FTPSurfer although it doesn't include an inline editor (unless on upgrade). The advantage over previous programmes I have used is it allows you to delete whole directories that are not empty instead of having to delete all the subdirectories and files first.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Good FTP program? In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I really need something with an inline file editor, cos when I'm developing scripts, I make changes - save it, and it uploads the changes (just saves sooo much time than having to drag and drop every 5-10 mins, when I've made changes to a file)

I guess worst case scenario, I'll have to buy CuteFTP (they always catch you out somehow - but I guess I've had my license for a good couple of years - so they gotta try and make some more money out of me somehow LOL)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
when I'm developing scripts, I make changes - save it, and it uploads the changes
When I'm working I just sit with both the text editor & ftp programme open; make the changes to the file I'm working on using the text editor- and the press upload on the ftp programme. It doesn't sound that different?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Good FTP program? In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, I've tried doing that before - but there are a few extra features which I've got too used to (mainly time savers)

I'm just gonna buy CuteFTP Pro 8 (only $60) - at least then I can copy over all my site profiles too , cos i've gotg about 50 profiles I'd have to try and remember the login details for otherwise :P)

Thanks anyway Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I use WS_FTP (free version and love it) but the Pro version supports SFTP. It is very user-friendly and intuitive IMHO... Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Good FTP program? In reply to
Hi,

Thanks - I've already brought CuteFTP Pro now though (cheeky buggers say its $60, then when you get to the final step, they add 17.5% tax - taking it to $70 Pirate)

Anyway, tried to import my old list of contacts - but didn't work :'( Bit annoyed about it - cos that means I've now gotta start from scratch with my list of FTP hosts that I had saved Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Too late, but....

Filezilla is open source and has been my FTP client of choice for several years.

It supports remote file editing and SFTP.

Cheers,

Piers
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] Good FTP program? In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion though :) (may help someone in the future if they come across this thread Smile). There are so manypaid and free FTP clients about - its hatd to know which to go for =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk