Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Fastest computer processor....

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Fastest computer processor.... In reply to
Including a full tower, cd/rw, floppy, network card, comes to about £800. I know some of the tiny, dell, etc deals look good, but everything inside `em isnt all good, if ya know what I meen. Wink

PS unfortunately ram has gone back through the roof since I bought mine at Christmas.

chmod

Last edited by:

chmod: Feb 6, 2002, 3:20 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] Fastest computer processor.... In reply to
Could I be cheeky and get you to list all the page links for the hardware you bought at aria.co.uk as I may be interested in the same...Im not too good when it comes to hardware so I wouldn't want to buy the wrong thing.

Mmm how about the XP 2000 :)

Product Information

CPU-A-XP-2000

AMD ATHLON XP 2000 [1.67GHZ] (OEM)
EXC
£ 202.00 INC
£ 237.35 [b

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 6, 2002, 3:26 AM
Quote Reply
U so cheeky Wink

I`ll list the models they`re pretty easy to find on the site..

Motherboard - ABIT VP6 DUAL FC-PGA UDMA-100 RAID

CPU - INTEL PENTIUM-III 1000 (RET,FC,133)

RAM - 512MB PC133 SDRAM (MAJOR)

H/Drive - 40GB IBM DESKSTAR 60GXP ATA100/7200

G/Card - ATI RADEON AGP VE 64MB DDR DUALHEAD

I got the case from Maplins £50 with 300W power supply and the cd/rw came from an old box but I know you can get em for around £60 - £80

I`ve never used AMD, the board above doesn`t support them. Check out the comments for each product, well useful. The advantage of using two 1Ghz P3`s is the doubling effect of the onboard cache. If your strapped for cash it will support 1 CPU. Also you need WinXP or 2000 for dual CPU support but you can run 98 it just wont see the second processor Frown

happy shopping..
chmod

PS if you raid 0 the two drives (should be identical) its even faster, yikes.. or u can mirror one to the other as a backup with raid 1, safety first..

Last edited by:

chmod: Feb 6, 2002, 3:45 AM
Quote Reply
Hey cool thanks!

Which case did you get? I went to maplins and only saw one for £128 and the image was dead :(

I've just totalled up so here goes:

Hard Drive: £104
Motherboard: £104
CPU: £226
RAM: £96 x 4
G/Card: £52
Case: £50

Total: £920

...hm a bit higher than anticipated but I think I may be able to sell my current pc for about £600 so I'd only have to pay £300. (I already have a CD-RW).

>>If your strapped for cash it will support 1 CPU.<<

May as well go the whole hog Laugh

>>Also you need WinXP or 2000 for dual CPU support but you can run 98 it just wont see the second processor <<

Good job I have a copy of XP handy Shocked

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 6, 2002, 4:27 AM
Quote Reply
Your welcome.

I got the Jupiter full tower, 6 x 5" 4 x 3" includes 300 watt power supply (300watt required for all those goodies you`ll be pluggin in there)
The top bays are just beyond the reach of ATA100 ribbons but you can put ur cdrom up there as they only need a 33 cable which can be up to 30 inches long I think. I always use the lower 3" bays for my c: drive, keeps it cooler than in a removable tray up top, excessive heat can be a problem with large drives. Cost for the case at Maplins shop in Slough £49.99 a month ago.

>RAM: £96 x 4
Yeah unfortunately ram has nearly trebbled in the last month or so.Mad

Also check out the GLOBALWIN FOP32-1 its a CPU fan and shifts 32 cubic feet of air/minute, (tie your box down) will keep those CPU`s cool when used with Arctic Silver Compound. All at aria.

Also check out vp6-board.com for latest custom BIOS and forums for the board.

Hope that helps.

chmod

PS just a thought, the VP6 doesn`t have any ISA slots if you need those.

Last edited by:

chmod: Feb 6, 2002, 6:00 AM
Quote Reply
I was just over at the Intel site and I found that only the Pro version of XP supports dual processors, the home version doesn`t.

Check at:
http://support.intel.com/...t/processors/dp3.htm

Just in case you got the home version.

chmod
Quote Reply
I got the pro version :)

But I chickened out in the end....I went out and bought a 40GB HD two days ago.

I guess I can buy a little at a time but for the moment Im just going to shove the new hard drive into my current pc.

Thanks for notifying me though.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 9, 2002, 6:34 AM
Quote Reply
Ugh after 3 days of ripping my hair out I finally got the new hard drive working side-by-side with the original.

60GB's Cool...wooo......
Quote Reply
Ok now I'm mad.

I fit in the second hard drive, reboot, everything looks good....click IE and my damn cable modem is dead.

Can't connect to any website.

Reboot into Mandrake, no problems what so ever.

AGH!!!!
Quote Reply
hmm, how are ur hard drives setup, should be.

IDE0 (1st connector 2ndHD/slave) (2nd connector 1stHD/master)

IDE1 (1st connector 3rdHD/slave) (2nd connector CDROM/master)

Its best to keep ATA 100`s on their own IDE without mixing witha an ATA66 or less. CDROMS are usually 33`s

I don`t know anything about cable modems but some Mainboards share IDE1 IRQ`s with a PCI slot, so if its a PCI thing try changing its slot.

chmod
Quote Reply
Oh what fun I've been having :(

....my partition table got corrupted _AFTER_ I decided to format everything and I then couldn't reinstall Windows Pirate

.....luckily the Mandrake installer fixed it for me and I just managed to install linux.....not tried Windows yet.

>>IDE0 (1st connector 2ndHD/slave) (2nd connector 1stHD/master)<<

I have the primary master drive (20GB) connected to the end of the cable and the slave (40GB) connected part way down. The bios detected it ok and partition magic and mandrake both picked up the drives and before the format I could see the new drive in "my computer".
> >