Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Dedicated Server...Interested?

(Page 3 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
>>I am very sceptical when it comes to cheapy hosts.
<<

But they aren't cheap. The prices are just a bit less than rackspace.com.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 16, 2002, 4:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
I didn't mean Tier1host to be a cheapy, it is just strange they do not even ask for a setup fee (which is obviously a webhosting standard for dedicated servers). Just wondered how they bring home their bacon. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Oh yeah, no setup fee is a bit weird but I ain't complaining Cool (unless they go bankrupt lol)
Quote Reply
Another thing I try to do is to actually go and visit the data house - go and see the server for yourself. Make sure that what they call "fireproof" and a rack server is actually that. I've always been somewhat sceptical of these companies that claim that their data center and their connections are supa-amazing.

One of the things I like about http://www.pair.net is that they have images of their data center so if you can't visit, you can get a good feel of where your server will be housed. Always a bonus I think.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [japh] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
>>Another thing I try to do is to actually go and visit the data house - go and see the server for yourself.<<

I don't have time to visit the mid-west unfortunately Wink
Quote Reply
LOL. Do they provide MPEG virtual tours? Or just flat images? Always worth it IMO. You can never tell if these buggers are honest.

- wil
Quote Reply
Paul,

That is a shame, the mid-west is particularly inviting in winter!Wink
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Not as nice as it's Buffalo ! Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Paul & QooQ,

I wanted to wish you well on your dedicated adventure.

I configured a server at rackspace and contacted my host. Tier1Host is about $70 a month less than either and doesn't charge a setup fee. Depending on the term of your contract and if you prepay or not, Tier1Host could save you $800-1200+ per year.

I guess the gist of several of these posts have been to make sure you know what you are purchasing. For example, my wife has been looking at cellular phones lately. Verizon offers service in our area and the map legend on the brochure calls it the Verizon "Digital Neighborhood". Digital Neighborhood is a service mark and in the service area I live in the "Digital Neighborhood" is analog service.

I did a Google groups search and found 2 non-relavant messages. Google web search found 106, 30 considered unique. webhostingtalk.com has no threads containing tier1host.

Anyhow, hope things go well!
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Wow I can't believe I missed all these posts.

Thanks for the comments Rob!

We are actually getting a 1000mhz athlon now and Tier1 have paid for the processor to be delivered by 3 day air so that was nice of them :)

I had a long chat with the co-founder of Tier1 last night and he is pretty genuine. He used to develop helpdesk applications for fortune 500 companies and has been a perl programmer for 10 years.

I asked why he can do such cheap deals and he says that he makes nothing on hardware and makes all his profit on bandwidth. This is true from what I've seen as at rackspace adding a little ram or extra cpu to your configuration adds a lot of $$ onto the final price.

We have a 30 day money back guarantee though which is useful.

>>webhostingtalk.com has no threads containing tier1host. <<

That doesn't mean much in my opinion. Just because a company isn't well known doesn't mean they are dodgy or untrustworthy. You can often get better deals with smaller companies (and better customer support).

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 21, 2002, 7:55 AM
Quote Reply
So what are the bandwidth charges? Do you get a set amount free per month or do you have to pay for every little GIG you use?

- wil
Quote Reply
Test
Quote Reply
Don't seem to have worked Paul Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Frown
Quote Reply
Boo
Quote Reply
Working? Nope.
Quote Reply
Shoobadydoowap.