Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Boot to linux

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Boot to linux
I just installed RedHat on my pc which also has Win98 and WinXP installed. Normally when I bootup I get a screen asking if I want to boot Win98 or XP. When installing RedHat it asked me if I wanted to install a program to manage the OS's when I boot up - I selected no.

Now when I bootup I just see Win98 and WinXP - how do I boot into linux?

I have PQ Boot that came with Partition Magic but that seems to only list my primary disk.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Boot to linux In reply to
http://www.wellho.net/...ons/31828290943.html

Cool
Quote Reply
Hmm I followed the instructions and Linux appears as an option when I boot up but when I select it I just get a blank screen with a flashing underscore in the top left corner :(

Last edited by:

Paul: Nov 5, 2002, 3:40 PM
Quote Reply
Oh poop.

I decided to reinstall RedHat and install the boot loader that comes with it. Now I can boot into RedHat but the only other option I have is "DOS" and when I click that I get a disk read error FrownFrown
Quote Reply
Did you install LILO? The LILO conf file, probably in /etc/lilo.conf should be straight forward enough to configure. You need to select what partition each OS is on and go from there.

- wil
Quote Reply
Mmm I managed to fix this by installing Mandrake. No idea why RedHat fails to work properly.

Now when I boot up LILO gives me the options of:

Linux Mandrake
WindowsXP
Windows98
Failsafe
Floppy

The only bummer is that when I choose XP I then get the XP boot loader asking if I want Windows98 or WindowsXP but I can live with that - I'm just happy I can access all 3 OS's now Wink

I guess I can always edit the LILO config and boot.ini to sort it all out.
Quote Reply
RedHat ...ewwww. Go for Debian! The real Linux. ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Boot to linux In reply to
Debian ...ewwww. Go for Gentoo! The real Linux. ;-)

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Quote:
RedHat ...ewwww. Go for Debian! The real Linux. ;-)

This is getting a little tedious now. When I use windows you want me to use linux, when I use linux you criticize the distribution. To be honest, I'll use what I'm most comfortable with and what I've used for the longest.

The first few times you remarked on my choice of operating system, it was a laugh, but now it's really getting boring.

I've been avoiding repling to your replies to me since the beginning of October in the hope you may get the hint.
Quote Reply
I just find Debian to be the most stable I've worked with and what's available on most production web servers, from my experience.

> I've been avoiding repling to your replies to me since the beginning of October in the hope you
> may get the hint.

Grow up.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Boot to linux In reply to
Hey Ivan

I've heard great things about Gentoo but haven't had the chance to try it yet. You using it as your desktop?

- wil
Quote Reply
Yes, I'm using it as my desktop. The only thing is that you need a fast internet connection to download all the packages you want to install.

BTW: gossamer-threads.com (and my site) runs on Slackware, which also seems to be used a lot for servers.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Interesting. You really need a fast net connection to do any kind of Net installation, too. I downloaded enough drivers to stick on 4 debian 3" floppy disks and that was that. I did the rest through the net install. The only thing about desktops I guess is that your X server package is likely tob e a huge download.

The main reason I use Debian, though, is that I absolutely love apt, and can't imagine going back to rpm or whatever other distributions use. I know that apt has been ported to other distributions, but I guess I just feel at home here with Debian now ...

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
I am not familiar with apt, but from what I hear, Gentoo's 'portage' system is even better.

Basically, you can just type 'emerge mozilla', and the portage system will download all the required packages, and compile them with the optimizations you choose. E.g. if you are a KDE user you can compile your applications with optional KDE support.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Quote:
Grow up.

I can see now why I started ignoring you. I find that ignoring you is actually the more mature way to deal with it. However I find you still following me around the forum. Ah well.

bash$ ./configure --without-wil
Checking kit is complete...
Looks good.
Writing makefile to remove Wil from memory

bash$ make wil disappear
Making Wil disappear
gcc wil.o -NO_WIL

bash$ make install
Removing Wil from memory
Wil removed.
Complete!

bash$

Last edited by:

Paul: Nov 6, 2002, 7:29 AM
Quote Reply
LOL @ Paul

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
ahhh poooh.

Go BSD!
Hell, do Darwin!
Better Yet! Get a sexy Machine, and make Beauty meet the Beast called "*nix"

packages .... hmmm ... been doing that for a bit. Fink and a new osxgnu tool. You startup fink (seems to have a gui version even) like cpan. type in :: install GIMP
BOOM!
Gimp installed, errr basically,

Or better yet, just grab the package, what a 40 meg file or so. Install without even a compile in under 4 minutes Tongue

tsk tsk tsk ...
Ok, Ok, Ok, OSX is still a little slow versus other flavors, but still. Ease of use, stable, ADOBE! what more do you want on a *nix box?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Boot to linux In reply to
Ugh if only I were rich :(

I'm still not convinced about Macs....I saw a sexy Sony VAIO a while back with a 22 inch flatscreen.....sigh, it was almost as big as our tv in the living room.
Quote Reply
Granted hardware is a bit to afford and having MD ability in a vaio is definitely a nice touch!

I'm not knocking Vaios, they're pretty dang nice machines. If they had OSX on them I'd probably buy Sony hardware instead.

Hehe, My 14" white iBook with a glowing apple on it makes the girls stop for a sec in StarBucks and the other day the sweety at the Honda Dealer almost spilled my coffee while she was checking it out, name one pc notebook that draws babes Tongue

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Excellent, yogi, sounds similar to apt, very neat.

- wil
Quote Reply
Paul

Quote:
I can see now why I started ignoring you. I find that ignoring you is actually the more mature way to deal with it. However I find you still following me around the forum. Ah well.

bash$ ./configure --without-wil
Checking kit is complete...
Looks good.
Writing makefile to remove Wil from memory

bash$ make wil disappear
Making Wil disappear
gcc wil.o -NO_WIL

bash$ make install
Removing Wil from memory
Wil removed.
Complete!

bash$

Grow up. Seriously.

- wil
Quote Reply
That makes no sense Wil, it's not a question of growing up, I'm basically trying to tell you that I'm tired of listening to you forcing your opinions on to other people. Occasional suggestions are welcome but persistent forcing just gets on my tits.

If you want to use Debian over RedHat then go and friggin do it. I'm on a course of tablets making me feel shitty, I have a worm infected server and what I don't need is pedantic, useless remarks telling me to use a "real" distribution of linux.

I'll have to just refrain from replying to you again.
Quote Reply
Quote:
gossamer-threads.com (and my site) runs on Slackware, which also seems to be used a lot for servers.

Interestingly enough, Jason was pushing for us to use Gentoo instead of Slack. =) Gentoo has become quite popular in the office, with most of our linux guys switching to it.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Boot to linux In reply to
I guess if I took my iMac into the local Starbucks cafe it would turn heads too :)

Fink is very good.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Boot to linux In reply to
Slackware all the way! (I happen to be having a discussion with Jason about using Gentoo for servers).

Adrian
> >