Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Best Forum Software?

Quote Reply
Best Forum Software?
Hi guys,
Out of the following,which forum software is most popular and what features makes it popular?
1.vBulletin
2.SMF
3.Invision Power Board
4.phpBB

Apart from above, are there any other good forum softwares?
cheers,
Priyanka
http://www.m6.net
M6.Net - Multi-sites hosting account on Windows 2003
Quote Reply
Re: [priyanka-m6.net] Best Forum Software? In reply to
Quote:
Apart from above, are there any other good forum softwares?

Gossamer Forum of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Avoid php based forums in general as far as possible.
Most of server compromises have been phpBB based IIRC.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Well, GForum is hard to setup (as many conditions are done in the templates, so isn't easy to apply your own design), but when the template setup is done, you get a very flexible forum service.
Also note, GForum is based on the GT::Template advanced template system, which is really my favourite one.

The best advantage of GForum, that it can be really improved using plugins and globals. This is something, that is hard to find in other forums.

P.S.: Oh and I should not forget the GT Community software, which makes possible for you to have only ONE user database for all your installed software (cooperating mainly with GT products, but other software can be also attached)

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jun 17, 2005, 5:54 PM
Quote Reply
I have to say YaBB!
It's perl based, runs using flat-file, so you dont need a database, installation goes FAST, it has tons of mods and the support is great.
Have been using it on many sites, and I am very pleased.
Think they'll be launching YaBB 2 in some weeks, and that will be huge!

Last edited by:

perlman: Aug 2, 2005, 5:44 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [perlman] Best Forum Software? In reply to
In Reply To:
I have to say YaBB!
It's perl based, runs using flat-file, so you dont need a database, installation goes FAST, it has tons of mods and the support is great.
Have been using it on many sites, and I am very pleased.
Think they'll be launching YaBB 2 in some weeks, and that will be huge!

True, but as HyperTherm said... it does introduce a lot of PHP security bugs, which Perl doesn't tend to do =~)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Best Forum Software? In reply to
I don't think I understand what you mean.
YaBB is Perl based. It's not a PHP board, and therefore it doesn't have PHP security bugs.
Or did I get it all wrong?
Quote Reply
Sorry, being stupid <G> I read it as YapBB, which is PHP based Blush

http://directory.fsf.org/webauth/misc/YapBB.html

Just me being stupid Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Best Forum Software? In reply to
WOW! They are so copying YaBB! Well, isn't all. Tongue Yabb was one of the first free, BBS, and they made the template structure that most BBS use these days(like how you view posts and where the buttons are placed).
Quote Reply
I have problem with mods. Usually the mods are useful, but installation, code compatibility and conflicts makes it a hard to use for beginners.

That's why I like the plugin system introduces by GT.
This makes possible easy installs even for beginners, and installing globals is easy for intermediate users.
Also all GT software is based on the same GT library, which makes plugin developments for all GT software easier.

Also I like GT template better than YaBB template system. The GT template system is very flexible and well usable for all kind of developments.

So even if GForum misses some features, I like it better, because of its flexibility and easy enhancing possibilities (plugins, globals, template language).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Best Forum Software? In reply to
I totally agree with you on many of your points.
When I first tried to use the mods I didn't get the point, but after some attempts I got it working.
They should improve that part, yes.

And I have really never done very much with the template system, but I know it is far from the best in use.

Luckily, most of this is improved in YaBB 2, which is much better in form of coding and use. It is much faster and more secure.
I'm not sure how they are doing it with the mods, but I know they have created a better system for organizing the mods and it should be quite easy to configure the ones you have installed. And also they have set some rules when writing mods, so that it wont get that messy as it has formerly been.

And the template system is much better now. I've tested it in the RC versions and it seems great, though I have no experience in this area.

But there are a lot of things I like better with GT Forum. Though I have only used the support forum, and not bought my own, it seems very good.

Ohh.. and I almost forgot. It's quite a difference between YaBB and GT Forum, since YaBB is free and GT Forum is not.
Quote Reply
Yeah, GT apps are not free. But I understand, that GT needs some income to cover the development costs. A paid developer takes some obligation for his users (i.e. updates), while a freeware developer not really.

Anyway, GT apps has one more BIG reason to choose:
the GT Community software - which makes possible to use just one user database on your site, in all your apps used. That's so big reason, that it can not be easily left out from the decision.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Do you mean that I could use both GT Forum And Link SQL in one database?
Is that what you are saying?
Great idea in that case, but not needed if you have unlimited databases. Wink
Quote Reply
Quote:
Do you mean that I could use both GT Forum And Link SQL in one database?
Is that what you are saying?
Great idea in that case, but not needed if you have unlimited databases.

Well, this is also possible, but this is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about user database. The user registration database.
All applications share the same user registration database.

So the user doesn't need to register and login separately into each software on your site, just once.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Ahh..smart!
Have been looking for tools like that. I often wishes that I could have the same users for my photoalbum and forum.

Well, then I really can understand you thoughts! Smile
Quote Reply
Photoalbum can be solved using LinksSQL software and some plugins, and the forum using the GForum software.
The common user database is supported by the free GCommunity software.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support