Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Athlon 64 and Sempron 3100

Quote Reply
Athlon 64 and Sempron 3100
Hi,

I just set up a computer for a friend with a K8N-E Deluxe Asus board and a Sempron 3100 (this board uses a Socket 754 for the processor) and wow is it fast ! The board has a mass of connectors and functions and is so far impressive. However I was wondering if anyone had started using any Socket939 Athlon 64 motherboards and if you have any advice. Has anybody tried it out with a 64 bit Win XP version ? The A8N-SLI Deluxe Asus Board has the new 3Gig SATA connectors and RAID 5 and 10, S/PDIF-out and they've brought SLI (Scalable Link Interface) back to life wit the new PCI express interface for graphic cards !
Anyway if anyone has any experience I'd love to hear about it.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Athlon 64 and Sempron 3100 In reply to
Sorry I can't really help with your question but this thread just caught my eye because I have an Athlon 64 3400+ and over the past few days I've discovered that in the BIOS there are settings allowing you to overclock it. The actual speed you get from a 3400+ is 2.4ghz and I managed to get a couple hundred more mhz out of it, but then the system became really unstable. I'm actually getting error messages when I boot up now - I'm going to have to figure out what is going on there - it says "No BIOS installed" - weird.

I installed Windows XP 64 bit edition a while back but got rid of it almost immediately - I really disliked it. It seemed to be lacking a lot of functionality.