Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Are images cached?

Quote Reply
Are images cached?
Hi,

I am just doing some sum's here working out how much traffic my site can handle under a 15GB cap. Just a question I really need to know the answer to because it changes the ammount of traffic I could accept greatly.

Does a web browser cache images during a visit to a site? If I have 10KB's of images on each page which are identical, will they be downloaded on each page? I am going to use Mod_Gzip which practically brings the HTML down to nothing. It just images that eat up a hell of a lot of bandwidth!

Thanks.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Are images cached? In reply to
let's add in there are users like me who basically turn off caching in their browsers. I wonder what do people like me do to a servers load.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Are images cached? In reply to
Yeah, most browsers do cache pages and images. This is a real bugger though with things like flash animations and pages you want to be updated Wink

With 15Gb, my templates site handles 75k hits a month, without going over the 15Gb. This includes people downloading templates, and the site is quite image intense.

Hope that helps a bit Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Are images cached? In reply to
>>my templates site<<

"my" being the site rather than the templates as they are submitted by visitors to freewebtemplates Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Are images cached? In reply to
Quote:
"my" being the site rather than the templates as they are submitted by visitors to freewebtemplates

Erm, no. All the templates are submitted by people visiting my site! I have about 7 of them, and the rest are use contributed Wink

Besides that, I wasnt refering to the templates themself being made by me, I was just rerfering to the fact people have to download them from my server! Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>All the templates are submitted by people visiting my site! I have about 7 of them, and the rest are use contributed <<

Oh it must be a coincidence then that the same templates in the same categories exist at freewebtemplates.com Tongue

Hmm these categories look familiar....

http://www.ace-installer.com/...rl_Scripts/index.php

Not lifted from hotscripts by any chance? Laugh

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 8, 2001, 6:15 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Oh it must be a coincidence then that the same templates in the same categories exist at freewebtemplates.com
Actually Paul, if you had looked you would have seen that they wernt. I got permission from some of the authors, including Doni from FreeWebTemplates.com who I know, and they said it was fine to include them! Since setting up the site about 20-30 of them have been submitted. Dont always go assuming Wink

Quote:
Hmm these categories look familiar....

http://www.ace-installer.com/directory/php/pages/Perl_Scripts/index.php

Ok, you got me Smile I'm not copying the script index content though if thats any help...lol

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>Actually Paul, if you had looked you would have seen that they wernt.<<

>>I got permission from some of the authors, including Doni from FreeWebTemplates.com who I know, and they said it was fine to include them! <<

Well make your mind up, first you say they arent from freewebtemplates, then you say you got permission to use them....Tongue

>>Dont always go assuming <<

Why not? Looks like I was right, that they did come from freewebtemplates LaughLaugh
Quote Reply
Quote:
Why not? Looks like I was right, that they did come from freewebtemplates

When you said earlier that I got em from FWT, I assumed you meant the whole collection. In that light what you said WAS wrong! Howver, if you are talking about the one that Doni made for FWT, and then let me use, then yes, I did use the ones from FWT Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk