Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Apache's Shot Down

Quote Reply
Apache's Shot Down
http://story.news.yahoo.com/...cid=716&ncid=716

Something doesn't add up. Firstly the Iraqi's are claiming *peasants* shot down two apache helicopters. That in itself seems slightly dubious, but even more strange is that fact that to knock down one of those bad boys you are going to have to do some damage and yet the apache the Iraqis filmed on the ground had no visible damage whatsoever.

They also said "We may, if it suits us, show you the pilots" ....this just seems like a convenient way of covering their tracks, as personally I very much doubt they have captured any pilots and so they can just say they chose not to show them if they are asked to prove their claims.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 24, 2003, 4:15 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Apache's Shot Down In reply to
There was a major fire fight between some Apache's and the republican guard. The Apache's had to retreat and a lot were heavily damaged. This downed Apache could be a result of that.
From what they showed on the tv, the tail section of the Apache was damaged but the rest looked fine, it still had its guided missile payload.
It did seem rather strange, it wasn't heavily guarded and I was wondering why it was still in one piece as it should have been destroyed either by the pilots or an air strike. But it was just sitting in the middle of a field guarded by a few farmers with guns being interviewed by an Iraqie tv crew.
Yep very strange, but where else would they get one if they didn't shoot it down.
The pilots may have escaped.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: [lanerj] Apache's Shot Down In reply to
My first thought was maybe they got it from the last Gulf War?
Quote Reply
Tommy Franks said he knows the wherabouts of all helicopters and the Apache's filmed were not shot down by farmers as the Iraqi's claim.

I'm started to get totally lost with all the propoganda flying around....I don't know what's real anymore.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 24, 2003, 6:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Apache's Shot Down In reply to
The Apache Longbow shown on Iraqi TV, set down under control. Did not crash, etc. May have had a mechanical failure...did not appear to be that damaged.

It's not an old one from the first Gulf war.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 24, 2003, 12:28 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Apache's Shot Down In reply to
Why wasn't it destroyed either by the pilots or by an air strike. I thought this was the policy for all downed aircraft.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au

Last edited by:

lanerj: Mar 24, 2003, 4:19 PM
Quote Reply
Depends on the type of aircraft. Most aircraft don't carry anything so sensitive that the crew can't deal with it themselves. The Pave Low that was destroyed out in western Iraq after it had a hard landing is a different beast....lots of sensitive gear onboard it.

We'll control the area soon enough, and can recover the Apache if it's still salvagable. Only five days into this thing and the depth of our penetration into Iraq is impressive.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 24, 2003, 4:48 PM
Quote Reply
Hmmm, well according to CNN they did go in and take out the Apache. I guess they didn't want to risk the Longbow stuff ending up in Moscow or China. Wink