Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

64bit - Wise Decision?

Quote Reply
64bit - Wise Decision?
It is perhaps a little late for advice seeing as I just placed an order Wink, but what are peoples opinions on 64bit processors - are they worth buying now?

I've just ordered an AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ system with dual 160GB hard drives Smile. The AMD processor is backwards compatible with 32bit applications and Microsoft are offering a free 64bit trial version of Windows XP from their website so everything seems A-OK.

Am I heading for trouble?
Quote Reply
Re: [Jarrod] 64bit - Wise Decision? In reply to
Hi,

No, I'd say go for it. The Athlon 64's are fast and very stable.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] 64bit - Wise Decision? In reply to
Thanks.

I ended up cancelling the original order (I read some bad reviews about the company) so I finally went for an Evesham AMD 64bit 3400+ with 1GB of DDR RAM. I left out the monitor and ordered a Sony LCD one seperately - they are a bit pricey but good quality with a quick refresh rate (16ms).

I just can't wait for it all to arrive now Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Jarrod] 64bit - Wise Decision? In reply to
How strange.

I just collected the Sony TFT/LCD monitor to go with the new pc (which hasn't arrived yet). I connected it up and the web is a completely different place now. The colors of the websites I regularly visit look completely different. I also have several more resolution settings including 1280x1024, which is surprisingly cool as I can see lots without having to scroll down the page Sly

Last edited by:

Jarrod: Jun 8, 2004, 12:13 PM