Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

pages wil not build completely

Quote Reply
pages wil not build completely
Hi there i have installed your script, and it works fine, exept for when i want to build pages, it stops, is this because the datafiles are to big (url.db = 93,704 and links.db = 240,411)or because the server is to slow, I tried to build via telnet, but when it's halfway done, it terminates.

Quote Reply
Re: pages wil not build completely In reply to
Links 2.0 can only hold around 5,000 Links. Upgrade your script to Links SQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
but i have only like 1500 links in it, it builds the first 4 pages, then it just stops

Quote Reply
Welp...as mentioned a number of times in this forum and in the Links 2.0 Discussion Forum...you probably have too many links (like over 50 links) in one or more of your categories...

Two suggestions:

1) Build your directory via telnet...Don't know how to do that? Search the Links 2.0 forums...this has been discussed more than once.

2) Break up your links into more sub-categories.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
yes well i have category's with 300 links in them, but the problem is : telnet does the same as when i open nph-build in my browser, it builds a couple of pages and then telnet says "terminated"

Thanks for the help

Quote Reply
Right...then you will have to take my second suggestion and break up those categories into more sub-categories and then re-organized your links into those new sub-categories, by using the Check Cat option in the admin.cgi file.

Got it?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] pages wil not build completely In reply to
I have a question about the suggested limit of 50 links per category. Does that mean that the number of links directly in any one single category should not exceed 50, or does that mean sum of links in that category and all its subcategories should not exceed 50?

Thanks,
Avern
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] pages wil not build completely In reply to
Hi All,

Just return some help, after receiving so much help from the guys here at the Forums.

I have over 1000 links in some of my catagories.

To do this...I made regular html pages with links and info on them, then made a link refrenced in my links catagory pointing to it.

eg. in help catagory:

link1 - somesite (url points to that site)

link2 - somesite2 (url points to that site)

link3 - raves help (url points to raves help.html page that has 500 links on it)

Note: Just make sure the page looks like the rest of your site and put a return to previous page link on it for your users! (Or use the frames mod!!! found in the resources).

Just think of the advertising possibilities....your ssi links on each of those pages pointing to html pages with advertising ads!!!! makes zoning a breaze!

Just name all those link pages with the .shtml extension (or whatever your server requires)...... Then insert <!--#include virtual="<%meta_keywords%>.html-->..where you want the add to show up.....then in the meta keywords on the links shtml page, put something like....004.....

Remember to use the path to where you are storing your ad html page in the call!!! eg. <!--#include virtual="/ads/004.html--> or use the full url path (http://somesite/ads/004.html).

Then name your advertising page 004.html

Thats It! Zoning made a breaze!

This way you can have thousands of links in each catagory, without maxing out the links database...

Hmmmm...5000 links x 100 links on each html page =

Gobs of links (500,000)....WOW!!!

I hope this gives everyone a useful idea to use Links 2.0 to its fullest potential!!

RaveSly

Last edited by:

rave: Dec 17, 2001, 7:01 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [avern] pages wil not build completely In reply to
The 50 link suggestion is for just the category being built.... Meaning, "Cars" can have 1000 links (including its subcategories), but there should only be 50 not in a subcategory.

It's also posible that your server has high processor usage restrictions. nph-build.cgi requires a lot of cpu time. Have you tried turning off detailed pages and using build staggered?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] pages wil not build completely In reply to
Rave,

That's a prettty good suggestion, but how if links doesn't build all the pages for you, do you just not keep track of hit counts for each individual link? Unfortunately, I don't think your suggestion would work in my case, becuase the bulk of my records are recipes and I need to have Links buld each recipe's page.

ThatPerson1024,

Thanks for the clarification on the 50-limit. I have tried turning off detailed pages (I use info.cgi to display the recipes) and I've even tried the staggered build, and have resigned myself to building from telnet. A server CPU restriction does sounds like a likely culprit now that you mention it. What's made the biggest improvement so far for me is increasing the numbers of links built per page (someone in the forums here had suggested it). It doesn't look that great, but it has definitely improved my successful build ratio; I can usually have a successful build now within 2 tries from a shell prompt.

Thanks for your help,

Avern
Quote Reply
Re: [avern] pages wil not build completely In reply to
Hi Avern,

Yep, theres alot of drawbacks per evryones applications.
You would have to have alot of layers of self made pages.
eg. recepies....cakes...choc....my cake
Unfortunately, the only way to track your links..is to use an external tracking program...that looks at your whole site...like I have.
There is deffinately alot of drawbacks to my meathod...it should be used by someone who is information oriented...or has alot of external "helper" programs working with it.

I guess that it should be used by anyone not familiar with sql or mods for links. Or who has an existing database..with no other options for expansion.

hmmmm..but you raise a good question! Let me think on that..links---external pages----tracking----building!

RaveSly