Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Weird error

Quote Reply
Weird error
Hi,

Got a copy of GLinks 3.2.0, and GComm 1.1.1, and GForum 1.2.4.

Now, it all seems to work fine (the user can log into both systems). However, in GLinks - when you go to review a link, or bookmark one, it takes you to the "Member Home" area.

Can anyone shed any light? I'm confused as hell by this :/

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Weird error In reply to
Anyone got any ideas? :/

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Don't know, but sometimes deleting the compiled templates solves all my problems, so I'd try that.
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] Weird error In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that, and still no joy :( (removed the compiled templates for all 3 applications). Its just such a weird issue - and I've never had it before.

GT - anything? (I'll email you in a couple of days if you don't see this <G>)

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
BTW, the users are being created fine by GComm (i.e they are created in both DB's). One little thing I can think of, is that the GForum + GComm share the same DB, whereas the GLinks one is on a seperate database. Could that do anything like this?

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Idea: Check your cookie settings!
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] Weird error In reply to
Hi,

Doesn't seem to be a problem with them. Its only doing it on this site. All our other ones are fine, and AFAIK they are all setup the same (obviously they aren't otherwise we wouldn't be having this problem - but there is nothing sticking out like a sore thumb :/)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Turn on debugging in glinks and community and see what's going on.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Weird error In reply to
brewt wrote:
Turn on debugging in glinks and community and see what's going on.
Don't you need SSH to view the debug info though? (the person who's site this is doesn't have SSH :/)

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Mmm.. still no joy :(

If the logging is put into access_log or error_log, we don't have access to that :( -

Its just sooo weird. You get to GLinks log in - then that takes you back to the main page (which is correct). As soon as you click on Bookmark or Review, it just shows you this kinda page: (i.e the "Member Home" bit);

Quote:
Welcome Andrew Newby
Where would you like to start today?

Account Information Account Information
Update your profile and account information
Message Boards Extra Applications
You should edit the user_home.html template and add more applications.
Set up your Free email account Set up your Free email account
Start sending or receiving email from our site using your Free email address.

God is this frustrating :( I've had to disable the Auth_Community plugin for now - as this is a live site.

TIA for any more suggestions - this one has me stumped Pirate

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It sounds like you're doing this as a paid job and yet you're asking other people for the solution? That doesn't sound fair Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] Weird error In reply to
I was actually more concerned it was a bug! And no, its as a favor for a friend (not paid Wink)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
It sounds like you're doing this as a paid job and yet you're asking other people for the solution? That doesn't sound fair

Does it matter if its paid or free work?

There is an issue which could be a possible bug and it needs to be addressed, most fixes are for the benefit of everyone, stop being selfish and help or read and move on.
SandraR

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Weird error In reply to
Quote:
Does it matter if its paid or free work?

Yes it does matter. If I was answering questions and found out that the person asking the questions was being paid for the answers, I'd be quite annoyed Tongue

Quote:
stop being selfish and help or read and move on

It has absolutely nothing to do with selfishness, more with legitimate business practices, however as Andy has said it is a favor for someone it becomes irrelevant.
Quote Reply
I get asked questions all the time from people getting paid to do the work at first I was offended. As time has gone by every case in which I helped has ended up with work from the person or I gained by their sharing what they learned from their developments.

I do understand the need to make a profit from our work, but in a forum atmosphere you can either ignore the plea or answer it.

There is no take in this type of atmosphere.
SandraR

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Hi

Andy offers lots of free advice to lots of people- often when they are being paid for their work. He also offers several free plugins.

I see you are relatively new to the forums but once you've been here a while you'll see what I mean- and perhaps revise your opinion of Andy and his good and generous work?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Weird error In reply to
I only asked whether it was for a paid job or not and Andy confirmed it wasn't, so as far as I'm concerned it's over with Wink

Unfortunately for me I must have run right into the middle of the Andy Appreciation Society Cool
Quote Reply
Hi,

Thanks for the support guys =) As Wychwood said though, he thought it was for a paid job - and once he found out it wasn't, he didn't care any more =) To be honest, I've had loads of people ask me for free globals, only to find out they are being paid for them Tongue It doesn't bother me so much now - as the more coding you do, the better you get - so in theory, it just helps make me better at what I do <G>

Quote:
Unfortunately for me I must have run right into the middle of the Andy Appreciation Society Cool

haha!

Anyway, lets just calm this thread down now - and hopefully try and work out what the hell is going on with GComm :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Without logs, it's pretty hard to debug issues like this. Not as nice, but you can also look for the logs using fileman and view them using that. Turning on debug will give you an idea of why glinks is sending you back to community. There's probably some sort of authentication issue there, however, they're already logged in with community and it just displays the home page. Come to think of it, it's probably a cookie issue, which means it might be a domain issue (community cookie is for www.example.com, and glinks is accessed through example.com).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

OMG - you're a star!

The GComm and GForum were accessing it via www.domain.com, but GLinks was doing it via domain.com

For anyone else experiencing this problem, you need to just update your URL's in the "Paths and URL's" section of "Setup". Ideally, so all of them use the www. version.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future too =)

Thanks again Adrain Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk