Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Plans for Fileman User Documentation

Quote Reply
Plans for Fileman User Documentation
Hi,

Just wondering what plans exist for making documentation for FileMan. My users are constantly asking for documentation on how to use the basic features, and I thought before I start setting up my FileMan user FAQ I'd ask what GT plan for.

I could imagine such either be as a separate document or as context sensitive help. Ie if you are in the HTML editor clicking help will give info about the HTML editor.

Really cool if context sensitive help would be if users can only view help for the commands they have permission to perform.

I really do believe in context/in tool help, but users would also need a general intro to FileMan. Eg structure of window/menus etc.

Would be silly if all us users of the programs do this individually ... if GT doesn't maybe we could at least share links to what help docs we have written?

-kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
http://www.icbl.org
Quote Reply
Re: [kjellkk] Plans for Fileman User Documentation In reply to
Hi Kjell,

We would love to add help into FileMan, however our tech writer is working first on Gossamer Forum, and then on Gossamer Mail, so it may take a bit of time.

If anybody comes up with anything, we are definately open to placing the help inside FileMan, and even doing the work to make it context sensitive.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Plans for Fileman User Documentation In reply to
The fileman .pkg for the RAQ is excellent, but without documentation I would be worried about releasing it to clients.

I'll probably have to write my own documentation - which I would be more than happy to share with others.

PLEASE NOTE: Any documentation would be RAQ specific, as I have no experience of using Fileman on any other platform.
Blacknight Solutions - Hosting
Search.ie
Armchair.ie