Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Not building homepage

Quote Reply
Not building homepage
Hi again, I just love Links V2.0, its so awesome.

Ok on to the problem, I have my admin directory password protected now. The problem I am having is when I click Build All it won't build a homepage. I run phpnuke and would like to take my main menu from my phpnuke index and place it on the homepage as well so I don't go off of my scheme.

1. Need to figure out why it won't build my homepage. Here is my links in text format: http://www.worldwiderpg.com/links.txt
Here is my build all report in text format:
http://www.worldwiderpg.com/buildallreport.txt

2. How can I take php coding and place it in the homepage so my menu will show up there and never leave the screen so people have no problem going back to the main page?

3. I heard you could add another field to display when people click on a category that tells who the Editor for that category is, like so: Category: (Category Name Here)
Editor: (Editor's Name Here)
Basically a moderator for each category.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Last edited by:

Mythotical: Oct 1, 2004, 11:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Mythotical] Not building homepage In reply to
It always amazes me how hard people find it to search Unsure

Quote:
CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error building! Links database is 0 bytes!
Script Location : nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.008

i.e your database is empty Wink

Quote:
2. How can I take php coding and place it in the homepage so my menu will show up there and never leave the screen so people have no problem going back to the main page?

Fair enough on asking this one... as I don't recall seeing any posts about it.

Unfortunaty, PHP can't really be included in the templates. However, you can make a shortcut... and change the build_extension in links.cfg from .html, to .php.

Then, when you build your pages... they will be built with the .php extension. You can then just add in whatever you want, i.e;

Code:
<? echo "test"; ?>

Please note: This WILL NOT work on dynamic scripts (i.e add.cgi,search.cgi,modify.cgi...etc) ... as these are not run as PHP script (for obvious reasons =)).

Quote:
3. I heard you could add another field to display when people click on a category that tells who the Editor for that category is, like so: Category: (Category Name Here)
Editor: (Editor's Name Here)
Basically a moderator for each category.

Afraid I'm not sure about this one. Its easy enough to add a new field... but I've never bothered/had the need to setup editors on a Links2 install ... so unfortunatly I can't be of much help with this one :( However, LinksSQL 2.2+ has an Editor system built in Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Not building homepage In reply to
Thanks, so how do I get it filled?

I have searched, I couldn't find anything that was closely related to what I was looking for so after about the 9 page, I decided to make a post. Sorry I should have kept looking.

So that error is stopping me from building my homepage? Greeeeeaaaat.

Thanks again Andy
Steve
Quote Reply
You need to add a category, and then at least one link. Then, you should be able to run a "Build All" :)

All of the above required links should be available in the left frame of the admin panel.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
The whole adding of a link I wasn't sure about, I thought I should be didn't. LOL

Do I have to do that to every category or just one to get it all started?

Steve

Thanks again Andy
Quote Reply
heheh... no worries =)

Quote:
Do I have to do that to every category or just one to get it all started?

You can do it toally how you want :D Most people add one or more categories ... then a couple of links, and then run a "Build All".

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok I have tried everything to get my Links to show up on the index page, located here, http://www.worldwiderpg.com as you can tell, I have gotten the stuff to show up, but when I do a build all, instead of it updating there on the main page too, it doesn't. I need the main page to call the category names, links, and so on from the .db files and list them there on the main page without having a .html page. Any idea on how to do that?

Steve