Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Allow binary files in cgi-bin

Quote Reply
Allow binary files in cgi-bin
Not an expert here but have been able to get all my cgi script to run in the past...knock on wood..

I'm thinking of installing Links 2. I installed a message board last week ( ultraboard ) and it works just great.

But things didn't work in the beginning so I ended up moving the image files out of the cgi-bin directory. The installation notes said that if "your server does not allow binary files within /cgi-bin, then please create the /public
directory within path_of_document_/root/ultraboard."

I did and every thing worked fine.

So I cannot have binary pictures in the cgi-bin
directory? Well, I have asked the server folks for clarification but I also want to ask you.

So if I can't run binary files from the cgi-bin directory on my server, what does that mean to Links 2 if I want to use graphical images as part of the categories etc in my site.

I have read about modifying Links to allow graphical images along the categories etc.

I did a search but this seems quicker.

Saint

Quote Reply
Re: Allow binary files in cgi-bin In reply to
In Reply To:
So if I can't run binary files from the cgi-bin directory on my server, what does that mean to Links 2 if I want to use graphical images as part of the categories etc in my site.
Simply put the graphical images in your non-cgi-bin directory. Then in the modification you read about replace the path values with the relative path where you have placed the images.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Allow binary files in cgi-bin In reply to
thanks for the quick reply. Just want to set up the direcoty structure correctly the first time....

Quote Reply
Another question In reply to
OK. If I put the links directory outside the cgi-bin directory, what should the chmod be set to?

other than changing all the paths and urls, are there any implications to this for Links.

I saw a post ( I think from you ) that said the directory didn't matter as long as the paths/url are set.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Another question In reply to
The permission of directory where the binary image files does not matter...

Regards,

Eliot Lee