Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

So confused...

Quote Reply
So confused...
O.K., don't send me to hell!
The "new sites" page only display the day that the last links was submitted (3 days ago). I've changed from 14 to 4 the days a link has to be intended as new.
Is this related to the fact that in 4 days just one time I've had submitted a site or the answer is somewhere else?
I'm really so confused!
Cristina

Quote Reply
Re: So confused... In reply to
Dear Cristina,

I'm not sure what your question is, but this is how Links determines which pages are new:

If you have changed the "new" period from 14 days to 4 days, then a link is considered new for only four days. During that four day period the following things happen:

- the word "new" appears next to the category name that the link belongs to in category lists
- the word "new" appears in red next to the link in lists and search results
- the link (and any other new links) is listed before other links in lists and search results
- the link is listed on the "new sites" page

After four days the links is no longer considered new and the above things do not happen. Of course, you have to rebuild your directory at least daily for this to work properly.

I hope this helps. I really don't understand your question.

Best wishes,
Floristan

Quote Reply
I was simply wondering if the "new sites" page should display ALL the new links posted everydays ince the service began (July 17 2 links, July 18 10 links, July 20 1 links....) or it simply shows the links BASED on the days I consider them new.
If the "new links" have to be considered new for 4 days the "new sites" will display only the new sites entered in the last 4 days OR will display all the list?
I'd like to display all the list, since the service began...
I hope I've explained quite better now...
If not, just let me know.
Thanks Flo!
Cristina

Do you mind if I call you Flo?(it's shorter!)

Quote Reply
No, the new sites page will not display all links added since the opening of your site. Only sites added within the last 4 days will appear. If you want this period to be longer, change the new period back to 14 days.

Why would you want the new sites page to list all sites ever entered? Six months or a year from now that will be a very long list. Nobody visiting your site will be interested in finding a link that way. They would use the search feature, or browse the directory category by category.

Think about it.

Floristan (Flo is fine.)

Quote Reply
Yes,
I guess you're right and it makes me think about new possibilities for the "new sites" info wich, UNFORTUNATELY, can't be retrieved via SSI.
It would have really been cool to display inside a cell of my web pages (called by ssi) the last 4 days with all the latest links.
Anyway I'll find a way to manage it...
THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN!
Cristina

Quote Reply
Check out the LastLink mod by John Gotze. You'll find it in the resources section. It will display the X most recently added links on your homepage, X being any number you like.

Floristan
Quote Reply
REALLY NICE MOD!
I've already added and it gives such a professional look to my home page.
Thanks again Flo!
Cristina