Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

NOBODY WILL EVER EXPLAIN ME THIS!

Quote Reply
NOBODY WILL EVER EXPLAIN ME THIS!
O.K. even if you think that I post too many things everyday it's just because I love this script...
Can anyone try to explain why, in the home.html of my web site I have the first line with 2 categories of a size and all the other lines with the other categories smaller than the first?
Where and how do I fix this?
Is it something that anyone else has experienced?
Cristina

Quote Reply
Re: NOBODY WILL EVER EXPLAIN ME THIS! In reply to
Hello there, first of all could you give me the URL to where Links is installed. The problem might be due to link.css. Or it might be something to do with nph_build.cgi.

Quote Reply
Dear Cristina,

Floristan here. You have posted a problem, but neglected to mention crucial information:

1) you have chosen not to use CSS
2) you have edited the sub site_html_print_cat in your site_html_templates.pl file

Now, I know these things because I helped you in the past and remember some of your messages. But others don't, and would spend more time than necessary trying to pinpoint the source of your problem.

By now you have spent a lot of time with Links, both using it and installing mods (more than 15 according to a previous message of yours), so you should have some familiarity with the code and what it does. From your previous struggle with the font size of the categories you should at least know this: the appearance of the category listings is determined by sub_site_html_print_cat. The first thing you should do is check the html tags that you edited in that subroutine. Have you closed all paired tags? I'll bet that one of the <small> tags that I have marked in red below has not been closed.
Code:
# Then we print out the name linked, new if it's new, and popular if its popular.
$output .= qq|<dl><dt><strong><a class="link" href="$url">$category_name</a></strong> <small class="numlinks">($numlinks)</small> |;
$output .= qq|<small><sup class="new">new</sup></small>| if (&days_old($mod) < $db_new_cutoff);
$output .= qq|</dt>|;
$output .= qq|<dd><span class="descript">$description </span></dd>| if (!($description =~ /^[\s\n]*$/));
$output .= qq|</dl>|;
}
Cristina, as in all of my messages to you, I mean to be kind and helpful. I'm sorry if the tone of this message seems harsh. It just seems to me that with a little reflection on your part, the solution to this particular problem would have been evident if you had applied what you have learned already. If not, you should at least have recognized that this is not a new problem, and posted your question in the thread where you first asked about changing the font size of the category listings. Then the history of the problem would be clear to everyone on the board.

You have learned a lot, and I'm sure your site will reflect all the hard work you've put into it. I would love to see what you've achieved so far.

As always...best wishes,
Floristan

Quote Reply
Dearest Floristan,
you're not being too bad with me as you always should have been.
Being a cgi and a html guru is not my job, is just a hobby, so I'm not as smart as other members in this forum.
I've no patience at all and it's my worst fault because I give up easily.
Setting up a portal with Links is my next goal and I hope to achieve it as soon as I can because I feel that I've stand it too much.
So, please, believe me if i say that I don't want to let you waste your time with this italian girl that could have found a better hobby in this summer instead of trying to work with cgi, perl, html and so on.
I'll be leaving for Sardinia this next sunday and I'll be not bugging you for 10, hopefully 15 days BUT when I come back....just kidding!
Anyway, now you know how I feel about posting my questions to this forum but it's the only place where I can do it...
I hope I'll become a little smarter and have not to ask for your assistance or, at least, exchanging some of informations about what I'm good to with your great suggestions...
Cristina

P.s
By the way you were right!
P.s.2
qq|<dl><dt><strong>...
what do these <dl><dt> mean?
Peace:)
Cristina

Quote Reply
what do these <dl><dt> mean?

In links.css:

/* Definition list */
dl {
color: # FFFFFF;
font-family: "verdana", "arial", "geneva", sans-serif;
}

/* This is for Category Listings table cells */
td.catlist {
font-size: medium;
color: #FFFFFF;
font-family: "verdana", "arial", "geneva", sans-serif;
}

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://mir.spaceports.com/~glennu/
Quote Reply
O.K.!
They should'nt arm me as I'm not using links.css!
So I hope...
Cristina

Quote Reply
Hi,
thanks for replying!
I don't use no more links.css as it has given me more pain than joy!
Cristina

Quote Reply
They should'nt arm me as I'm not using links.css!

Yeah if your not using links.css you can get rid of them.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Dear Cristina,

You don't use CSS, so Glennu's answer (above) will confuse you.

<dl> is the HTML tag for definition list

<dt> is the HTML tag for definition term

also:

<dd> is the HTML tag for definition description

Using a definition list instead of an ordered list <ol> or unordered list <ul> allows you to have indented definition descriptions. Personally I don't use the <dl> tag because it is not interpreted uniformly in all browsers and because I don't display my category descriptions on my home page.

Originally the home page category list was set up like this (simplified):
<dl>
<dt>$category_name</dt>
<dd>$description</dd>
</dl>

If you don't want your category descriptions indented, or if you don't use category descriptions at all, then you don't need these tags.

Floristan

P.S. Check your private messages later today (after 22:00) for a message from me.

Quote Reply
Glennu,

As I described above, <dl> <dt> and <dd> are HTML tags, not CSS tags. Yes style sheets can control their appearance, but then CSS can be used to change the appearance of any HTML element. If Cristina deletes them without replacing them with some other HTML formatting tags, her home page will be a mess.
Code:

<dl>
<dt><strong>$catagory_name</strong></dt>
<dd>$description</dd>
</dl>

produces:
Code:
Category Name
Description of the category
Code:

<ul>
<strong>$catagory_name</strong>
<li>$description</li>
</ul>

produces:
Code:
Category Name
• Description of the category
She could replace the definition list tags with unordered list tags, or she could simply use a
tag after the category name and again after the category description.

Floristan

Quote Reply
I feel like having big brothers always helping me!
Thanks a lot guys!
Cristina

Quote Reply
'If Cristina deletes them without replacing them with some other HTML formatting tags, her home page will be a mess.'

Yeah your right. I wasn't really paying much attention to what I was saying. Sorry everyone!!!

Good Luck!

Glenn