I know I should upgrade to the newest version of Links SQL, now 3.x or something, so some time in the future I’ll talk directly with Alex for a major upgrade and to purchase new software additions (e.g. community and message board ad ons). However, right now I just need TWO QUICK fixes, because my web site is a fully operational portal that generates some revenue.
This web is bilingual, with two versions written in both English and Spanish. These two versions are updated constantly (almost daily). However, in addition to these two original versions, I also have two other versions that were translated by a COMPUTER SOFTWARE from its original the English version to German and Frech. These two translation are therefore just made from an online translator, and therefore, they have nothing to do with Links SQL.
* Problem One.
If you would go to a category I got in English called "english/Business__and__Economy/Companies/" You’d notice that all the companies sites are sorted alfabetically. However, in the Spanish version, they will be arranged also alphabetically but in the alphabetic order of it’s categories names in English.
Le me explain this problem with an example. The names of the two first subcategories in the category “Companies” are (1) Accounting, and (2) Agriculture. So they are sorted like that because that’s how this subcategories are sorted alphabetically in English.
However, these two subcategories in Spanish are called (1) Contabilidad, and (2) Agricultura. So in the Spanish version of the site, you will see “Contabilidad” before “Agricultura.” Using just these two subscategories as an example, it should have been (1) “Agricultura” first, because it starts with an “A,” and “Contabilidad” second because this word starts with “C”
So I need to fix that so the formating of the categories in Spanish will be sorted according to the words in Spanish, not in English. Again, the categories in the English part of the site work just fine.
I really need this sorting done in the Spanish section of “companies.” However, if it can be done in other categoires without much extra work, that’d be fine too. Therefore, I just want to notice here that in some other categories, I have added an extra space in the URL “__” so I can push some subcategories to the end.
I have done this intentionally, of course, and one example of this is in the category “Education.” Here, for example, the subcat in the URL is “Education/__Other_Topics/” instead of “Education/Other_Topics/” so I can push the subcategory “Other Topics” at last.
* Problem Two:
For tech-related businesses, I try to keep my domain name in low profile (but my URL is stated in my profile, for those who might be interested in doing this work).
So if you go to my site, to the category “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” You will see at the end of the page that a “related category” is “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture.” There are two problems with this last link in the first category.
First, the cat “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” is in the Spanish version of the site, so the text and hyper link should be in Spanish and linked to a related Spanish categorory.
So when you fix this, at the bottom of the category “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” I should see a link with the text of the related category that in this case is “Artes y Humanidades : Cultura Andina.”
Also, right now this category link goes to a URL “pages/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”, but this is the way the cat url would have been read if I didn’t have any original bilingual mods. So between the folders “pages” and “Arts_and_Humanities” there should have a folder called “spanish.” So the correct link should have been “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”
Also, the ENGLISH category section url pages/english/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/, the text of the Related Category link is “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture” In this case, this is a URL path, it should have been “Arts and Humanities: Coastal Culture” not “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture.”
In addition, this hyper text points or links to “pages/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”. It should point to “pages/english/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html” So again, that folder “english” that is in the folder “pages” is again missing. If you click in that link you’ll get an error message.
I have already talked to a couple of programmers for doing this two works, but the project is still open to anybody who might be interested in working on it. Of course, I’d consider not only how much I’d charged, but also the experience he or she has in this older version of Links.