Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Category sorting issues in biligual Links SQL

Quote Reply
Category sorting issues in biligual Links SQL
Hello,

I know I should upgrade to the newest version of Links SQL, now 3.x or something, so some time in the future I’ll talk directly with Alex for a major upgrade and to purchase new software additions (e.g. community and message board ad ons). However, right now I just need TWO QUICK fixes, because my web site is a fully operational portal that generates some revenue.

This web is bilingual, with two versions written in both English and Spanish. These two versions are updated constantly (almost daily). However, in addition to these two original versions, I also have two other versions that were translated by a COMPUTER SOFTWARE from its original the English version to German and Frech. These two translation are therefore just made from an online translator, and therefore, they have nothing to do with Links SQL.

* Problem One.
If you would go to a category I got in English called "english/Business__and__Economy/Companies/" You’d notice that all the companies sites are sorted alfabetically. However, in the Spanish version, they will be arranged also alphabetically but in the alphabetic order of it’s categories names in English.

Le me explain this problem with an example. The names of the two first subcategories in the category “Companies” are (1) Accounting, and (2) Agriculture. So they are sorted like that because that’s how this subcategories are sorted alphabetically in English.

However, these two subcategories in Spanish are called (1) Contabilidad, and (2) Agricultura. So in the Spanish version of the site, you will see “Contabilidad” before “Agricultura.” Using just these two subscategories as an example, it should have been (1) “Agricultura” first, because it starts with an “A,” and “Contabilidad” second because this word starts with “C”

So I need to fix that so the formating of the categories in Spanish will be sorted according to the words in Spanish, not in English. Again, the categories in the English part of the site work just fine.

I really need this sorting done in the Spanish section of “companies.” However, if it can be done in other categoires without much extra work, that’d be fine too. Therefore, I just want to notice here that in some other categories, I have added an extra space in the URL “__” so I can push some subcategories to the end.

I have done this intentionally, of course, and one example of this is in the category “Education.” Here, for example, the subcat in the URL is “Education/__Other_Topics/” instead of “Education/Other_Topics/” so I can push the subcategory “Other Topics” at last.

* Problem Two:
For tech-related businesses, I try to keep my domain name in low profile (but my URL is stated in my profile, for those who might be interested in doing this work).

So if you go to my site, to the category “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” You will see at the end of the page that a “related category” is “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture.” There are two problems with this last link in the first category.

First, the cat “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” is in the Spanish version of the site, so the text and hyper link should be in Spanish and linked to a related Spanish categorory.

So when you fix this, at the bottom of the category “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” I should see a link with the text of the related category that in this case is “Artes y Humanidades : Cultura Andina.”

Also, right now this category link goes to a URL “pages/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”, but this is the way the cat url would have been read if I didn’t have any original bilingual mods. So between the folders “pages” and “Arts_and_Humanities” there should have a folder called “spanish.” So the correct link should have been “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”

Also, the ENGLISH category section url pages/english/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/, the text of the Related Category link is “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture” In this case, this is a URL path, it should have been “Arts and Humanities: Coastal Culture” not “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture.”

In addition, this hyper text points or links to “pages/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”. It should point to “pages/english/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html” So again, that folder “english” that is in the folder “pages” is again missing. If you click in that link you’ll get an error message.

I have already talked to a couple of programmers for doing this two works, but the project is still open to anybody who might be interested in working on it. Of course, I’d consider not only how much I’d charged, but also the experience he or she has in this older version of Links.

Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [rockiniowa] Category sorting issues in biligual Links SQL In reply to
Let me repeat myself, from the previous thread.
I post my opinion, into this thread, too:
Quote:
Problem 1) sort alfabetically, correctly according accents.
Being Hungarian, I had similar problems on my website, so I can help you in this problem. The solution may vary from really simple mysql based solution, to difficulter custom modifications in the core code.
The estimated time vary from below 1 hour, to several hours. I can estimate better if check your mysql database & I analyze the code.
Analyzation should be the max 1 hour, then I can tell you the rest.

Problem 2) related links to match the current language
This should be easily fixed, below 1 hour.

I will analyze how can the Spanish category sorting fixed in LSQL v1.x.
Coming back later.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Sorry for late reply. I just checked the problem.

I found the problem source for 1).
The categories are sorted by English directory names, and not by their title.
Will check the code soon, to fix it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Ok, Now fixed, sorted correctly by the title.
But there is a problem:
The English sorting is not always working fine, as the main category names are sometime different from others:
Quote:
'Business & Economy/ Companies'
'Business & Economy/ Directories'
'Business & Economy/ Economy'
'Business & Economy/ Organizations'
'Business & Economy/ Science'
'Business and Economy/ Investing in Peru'
As you see 'Business and Economy', 'Business & Economy' are different, so are sorted differently.
You should fix them if you want sorting correctly.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Category sorting issues in biligual Links SQL In reply to
Ok, I fixed that problem by ignoring the main category name, and sorting just by the short category name.
You don't need to modify anything in the database.
It's working correctly now.
Please test your site, and let me know if anything is wrong.

Problem 1) solved.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Problem 2) solved, too.

Related links are now displayed correctly.
You can check it in Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture.

One more info about problem 1):
I found out, that problem 1) was not about Spanish sorting problem, but instead to sort by categories by title instead directory name.
Changes was done in nph-build.cgi and HTML_Templates.pm.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hello Webmaster33,

I notice that in Sp section "spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/" The related category is "Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html" which makes sense from a organizational way, but the tile of the link that says "Amazonian Culture" should instead say "Coastal Culture."

So the link goest to the right place (coastal), but the title or text of the link should also say "coastal" but it says "amazonian" which is the same category where that category link is embedded.

Also, I went to admin pages, and I tried to add a new Related Category in the category "spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/" but the system won't late me. For instance, I tried to ad to this category a link to related subject in the spanish section "spanish/Society/Herbs_and_Traditional_Medicine/" but the system won't let me. I get the following error in red:

"Sorry, there is no category ''

About the first problem, yes I did mention that in some cases I made the titles a little bit different to move some subcats to the end. Also I'll have to rename some category names in the Spanish section of "/Business/Companies."

Let me pay you first, as agreed in PM, and then I will go through the tests.

Thanks,

Carlos
Quote Reply
Quote:
I notice that in Sp section "spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/" The related category is "Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html" which makes sense from a organizational way, but the tile of the link that says "Amazonian Culture" should instead say "Coastal Culture."

It seems you rebuilt, the site in the meantime, so you can't see the results built with the changed script anymore.

Quote:
Also, I went to admin pages, and I tried to add a new Related Category in the category "spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/" but the system won't late me.

I will check this issue.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 3, 2005, 3:22 AM
Quote Reply
Could you check the "Sorry, there is no category '' issue again?
We should track down this issue.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Webmaster33,

I just wanted to thank you again publicly. Like I said in the PM, everything is fine now. I am very satisfied with your work. Sorry for neglecting to thanks you before...

Carlos