Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Possible an idea for a plugin - Rate sites as "movies"

Quote Reply
Possible an idea for a plugin - Rate sites as "movies"
Hi all, i'm thinking how can I give my users an option to filter search results with or without adult sites, so any help will be really appreciate it :)

1st of all, i think i should add a new field ty my sites table on where the site owner, the ditor or the admin must define if the site have adult material. Something like Yes or No or even could be something like a "movie like" rating system (G, PG, R, X, etc.).

My question will be where do i need to let the users define if they want to use the adult site filter, something like search preferences.

Again, any advice to help me clarify this case will be really appreciate it :)

Jesus

Ps
Probably this could be done using the users table or a cookie, i don't know which methid could be more effective. I think cookies can be used also for non-register users....

(I believe i post my message on the wrong forum, i think the best forum could be Plugins... sorry Blush)

Last edited by:

Jesus: Apr 18, 2004, 10:26 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jesus] Possible an idea for a plugin - Rate sites as "movies" In reply to
Discussion area is ok, :) Things about this need to be discussed before it's a plugin ready item ;)

If you do a search on search here, you can find that you can pass in searches on specific items, and other things. It's not all well documented -- but if you download the newest GT doc for Links SQL it might be (I haven't looked in awhile). Remember, there is a separate manual from the on-line/internal docs.

If you allow a user to set their adult preferences off, you should be able to pass in a field/value pair to the searches, as a hidden tag, to block any links with a certain value.

AdultRated=>No

This is one area of links I've always treated as a black box, knowing I'd have to open it down the road for one of the new OEM programs. (actually, for an adult content site, BION).

Someone may be able to help you on this, but it _should_ be as simple as passing a hidden tag to the search template, based on the logged in user profile to only allow/disallow certain values for a search field.

It's the same concept as asking for HAIRDRESSERS where CITY=>Pittsburgh

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.