Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Install DBman: Rookie questions

Quote Reply
Install DBman: Rookie questions
I followed all instructions given in the readme and in the db.cgi but I still get this stupid error:
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request"
Any idea?
http://www.murchio.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Install DBman: Rookie questions In reply to
Two possible things will cause that error, especially if you're first installing the script and haven't made any changes.

The first possible reason is that you uploaded your files in binary instead of ASCII mode. With most FTP clients, they'll upload just about everything in binary mode, unless you specifically tell them you want ASCII mode. If you don't know how to select ASCII mode upload, tell me the name of your FTP client and I'll see if I can help you.

The other possible reason is that your path to Perl is wrong in the first line of db.cgi. Most servers have perl at
/usr/bin/local/perl
which is the default path in db.cgi. But your server may be different. (My account on my ISP is divided between two servers. One has Perl at /usr/bin/local/perl and the other one is /usr/bin/perl. I'm always forgetting to change the path.)

What I would do is upload all the files again, being absolutely certain that every file is uploaded in ASCII mode. Set your permissions and give it a try. If you're still getting the 500 error, check with your provider and ask were perl is located. If it's not /usr/bin/local/perl, you'll need to change the first line of db.cgi. Leave in the #! at the beginning of the line.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
It may be that you will need to delete the files and re-upload in ASCII mode. There has been mention of that here before.

The 500 error means that it can't even start running the db.cgi script for some reason. The reasons I've found have been that the files were uploaded in binary mode, the path to perl is wrong, or there's a syntax error in the file. If you haven't changed the file, there's no syntax error, so it's probably one of the other two things. You've checked your path to Perl, so it must be the ASCII thing.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Well, it's true I uploaded everything in binary mode. What I've done so far is: re-upload the files in ASCII mode, set again the permissions, and checked the first line of db.cgi (#!/usr/bin/perl is the path that virtualave.net has given to me as the perl directory). BUT...it doesn't work. Do I have to delete everything and create also the directory in ASCII mode (can it be that overwriting is not enough)? What is the meaning of the 500 error?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
I have the same problem!!! I cleaned out everything, made sure it was all uploaded in ASCII, and set the permissions correctly. The only modifications made to the files was according to the README file.

I have successfully installed CGI files that are currently operating correctly, and have placed a test CGI in the same directory as the db.cgi and it is functioning appropriately.

My server has perl5, and I am running other CGI requiring perl5 that do fine.

HELP!!!
Quote Reply
Are either of ye able to get at ye're server error_logs? If ye can, have a look and see what the log enters when you run db.cgi. Might help a little...

adam
Quote Reply
Jack, I'm assuming that you checked your path to Perl in the first line of db.cgi, right?

If you haven't changed anything in the script except the path to Perl, I don't know what to tell you. The only thing I know is to check

1) That all files are uploaded in ASCII mode

2) That permissions are set correctly

3) That the path to Perl is correct

Oh, one other thing. There is the setting for the $db_script_path, but only very rarely does that need to be changed. You might give that a try.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Jack, I'm assuming that you checked your path to Perl in the first line of db.cgi, right?

If you haven't changed anything in the script except the path to Perl, I don't know what to tell you. The only thing I know is to check

1) That all files are uploaded in ASCII mode

2) That permissions are set correctly

3) That the path to Perl is correct

Oh, one other thing. There is the setting for the $db_script_path, but only very rarely does that need to be changed. You might give that a try.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
If this guy has the same README as I have then that may be the problem. It says set the permissions to 755 rwx-r--r--. I think that should read 755 rwxr-xr-x

------------------
---
Andy
Quote Reply
Check the URL below, I can't get the script to work, what is going wrong? How do i do this? I think i set everything correct, i uploaded everything in ASCII, and i set the location of the script according to hypermart in the correct place, yet it still wont work please help. Says it can load required libraries

http://betafind.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
Quote Reply
Looks like a problem in your .cfg file. The line that refers to the html.pl file needs to be

require $db_script_path . "/html.pl";

For some reason your script is trying to find the html.pl file in the same directory where perl is located.

You also may have set the $db_script_path variable incorrectly in the db.cgi script. Try just having it as the default:

$db_script_path = ".";

------------------
JPD