Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
links.db.bak
Can someone please explain what links.db.bak is, why all the posts about it say it is essential, and why I didn't get it in the download?

Also - I would appreciate an idiot's guide to putting a blank links.db.bak into my data folder. Do I upload a txt file and rename it? Or can I create one with cuteftp? This may sound stupid but I really don't know how to do this - although I have been uploading html files for years.

Thanks in advance - this is a real steep learning curve and I am about to fall off!

Quote Reply
Re: links.db.bak In reply to
The file is essential for the backup process within the BUILD script.

All you have to do is the following:

1) Save a blank file called links.db.bak.
2) Access your account via FTP.
3) Upload the file to your /cgi-bin/links/data/ folder.
4) Set the permissions of the file to 666 (RW-RW-RW-)

If your text editor does not allow you to save files as .db.bak. Then simply save the file as links.txt. Then re-name it via FTP.

Pretty easy...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
OK. I've done that - and thank you very much for that very clear post.

Maybe you can help me with the other problem I am having (as already posted in link error thread). - My links are acting very strangely.

1)Test links that have been deleted (and are not in links.db) are still showing up in built pages. In one case an old deleted link (number 12) has started showing up in place of the only correct link that should be in that category (number 4) on the last rebuild. There are a total of five links and all show up correctly in links.db

2)All links from search results and built pages are getting a Can't find link ID error while links from the Rate a Resource page are linking to the urls ok.

I really need some advice on this and can't find any help in old posts.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Either delete all data from links.db and url.db and reset linkid.txt back to 0 or renumber the links properly.

Installs:http://wiredon.net/gt
FAQ:http://www.perlmad.com

Quote Reply
I already have done all that. There are now six correctly numbered links in links.db and the number six in linksid.txt but there is nothing appearing in url.db and the links still don't work and give the same error.

Quote Reply
Did you manually put the links in the links.db and url.db?? If so, then you will need to re-build your directory for changes in your web pages to show up.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks guys - I think things are sorted finally. There was nothing being written to url.db and putting links.db.bak in didn't help immediately which had me really confused. But I kept persevering and after repeated attempts at rebuilds it alll suddenly kicked in for no apparant reason after a staggered build.

I really appreciate your help Eliot and Paul - and I hope these posts help future newbies. I am off to bed now but I am sure I will come across a new set of problems tomorrow - so look out for me then!

Thanks again,
Alan