Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

error building select field: ...'Category'

Quote Reply
error building select field: ...'Category'
Ok, I am fairly new to CGI, but have installed more than 20 scripts, and have gotten them operational, even customized, so I have a basic understanding of the procedures fo getting CGI to work. However, I cannot get links to work!
I am getting an error when i go to add.cgi and try to add a link <error building select field: no select fields specified in config for field 'Category'!>. I also get an error when i try to build pages <CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /home/httpd/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

But when I use staggered Auto, it builds the page, but I STILL get the fisrt error that I mentioned.
I have checked all of my paths and permissions, and am almost sure they are correct. I know it's probably something small, but I am TOTALLY lost, can you please help me??
Thank you,
Renee

Quote Reply
Re: error building select field: ...'Category' In reply to
Uh...this has been discussed before MANY times. SEARCH this forum Unable to copy links backup!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Uh...I got the build to work properly, but that still doesn't fix the error problem in add.cgi. When a church member clicks on the add resource link to add their recipes, they get this error>>>>>Category: error building select field: no select fields specified in config for field 'Category'! for Choose Category. Can you PLEASE help me fix this?
Thanks,
Renee

Quote Reply
I know that everyone hre has a lot better things to do than to walk us through the installation of these scripts, and I am sorry for being a pain, but i really can't seem to solve this problem. I have been at this script for DAYS trying to figure it out, and i have gotten it all settled except for the following problems:

1.) When you click on add resource, even though I have added numberous categories, and sub-categories, you get this error where you should be able to choose a category:

error building select field: no select fields specified in config for field 'Category'!

Can someone PLEASE help me with this.

Thank You VERY MUCH!!!

Renee

Quote Reply
PLEASE will someone help me with this. On top of the previous mentioned error (error building select field: no select fields specified in config for field 'Category'!), th Categories are not showing properly. I am getting no errors, but when I view the generated page, all I see is the DESCRIPTION, and not the Category itself, and on top of that, even though there are links in the Category, there is no where to click on to view the links. I know that everyone keeps telling me to search through this forum and the discussions, but I have...and I can't seem to find the help that I need, so PLEASE help!
Thanks,
Renee

Quote Reply
Did you ADD categories in the CATEGORY option via admin.cgi???

What HACKS or MODIFICATIONS have you applied to the script?

BTW: We are all volunteers here...it takes awhile for people to post replies in Threads...please be more patient and understanding!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry Sir, didn't mean to seem rude.. :)
Impatient is my middle name thought :) But from now on, I will be a good girl!!! (If that's possible).

Yes, I did add categories via the admin.cgi, and I have made NO modifications to the script at all, except for the paths, and I have checked and rechecked and again all of them, and they are correct. I have also gone through the readme 3 times, and have checked all the CHMOD a few times. I don't understand what is going on. But, like I said, I am new to this, but have never had this trouble installing scripts. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Again, my apologies for being impatient.

Thank You,
Renee

Quote Reply
Well, look at your categories.db file? Do you have entries in that file??

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yes Sir, I do. All the Same Categories that I entered in the Admin are listed there. maybe it's corrupt?

Also, would that be causing the Category desciptions to show and not the actual Cat name itself? I am soooo lost now.
Thank You,
Renee

Quote Reply
OK...I got it all working now..EXCEPT one problem. My categories are fine now, I reinstaleld the script from the beginning (People it DOES help to print the read-me and follow it step by stpe like these fine people tell you too!!). ;)

Ok, now the problem is, once i get into the category itself, and click on the added item, no page to display!!!!!!!

Why would it be doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Again,
Renee

P.S. Elliot, you're a GOD!

Quote Reply
I GOT IT! I GOT IT!
Thank you ALL for your help, and a special thanks to Eliot for being so nice when i was so frustrated!!!!!
You guys ROCK!!!
Renee :)

(now on to the customization forums!)