Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

build problems

Quote Reply
build problems
We have just installed Links, and have been having problems getting it to work properly. I am able to add new categories and links, but when I try to build the pages, I get the message below. All permissions seem to be set correctly. Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Helen

Building Pages

Pages built on 21-Sep-2000 at 09:15:58
--------------------------------------------------------

Backing up database . . .
Backing up links, category and email database (File::Copy) ...

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /web1/www-test/helen/links2/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00401

Quote Reply
Re: build problems In reply to
As discussed before in this forum, you need to check the following:

1) Make sure that you have a blank file called links.db.bak file in your data directory. Make sure that the permission of this file is 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

2) Then make sure that the permission of your backup directory is set to 777 (drwxrwxrwx).

For more information on file and directory permissions, consult the README file that came with Links 2.0 OR read the FAQ in the Resource Center (that can be accessed via clicking on the Resources link at the top of the forum web pages).

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: build problems In reply to
Thanks for your help. I have now done all the things you suggested, and have checked the permissions on the other files and directories, but I am still getting "unable to open count file ... Reason: permission denied".
The data/hits/ directory has been chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx).
hits/index.count file is -rw-r--r--
data and backup directories have been chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx).
I have noticed that in some of the posts on here there is mention of a ratings directory. My equivalent directory is called rates. Should it be renamed to ratings?

Sorry to be so dumb, but I just can't see where the problem might be. In case it isn't already obvious, I know next to nothing about Unix.

Thanks
Helen