Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Verifying Links

Quote Reply
Verifying Links
Whenever I click on on Quick Check it says document contained no data. The link points to the nph-verify.cgi file and it was uploaded in ascii and given the correct permission. With links 1.1 it wouldn't work because I didn't have the Lwp module, but with 2.0b it would work using the socket method. So my question is the error I'm getting because I do need the module or some other reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Verifying Links In reply to
Do you get the same error on the Detailed Check? If so, check the top line of nph-verify.cgi and make sure it points to the same path to perl as all the other scripts do.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/
Quote Reply
The path to perl was the same as the other scripts. When I install the script over again in a new directory and add links manually the verify links works fine. When I use the old links.db file and click verify it doesn't work. I thought the way to upgrade and keep your links was to keep using the links.db file and in admin. click on check categories so it bulids categories to go with the links. All the links show up fine but it doesn't verify. I used the same procedure to keep my links from 1.1 when I started using 2.0b and it worked fine. So now I'm perplexed.
Quote Reply
Which beta version of 2.0 are you using? If beta 4 or before, you can use the old links v1.1 links.db, but you must edit it to remove all occurances of the word "NULL" from all records.

If you are using the beta 5, you need to update the links v1.1 links.db by using upgrade.pl (the one in the beta 4 archive) which you put in your data directory, chmod it to 755, and then run it. It will remove the NULL for you and add the two new fields, "Votes" and "Rating".

When you are ready to move to the final release version from beta 5, you will need to move upgrade_beta.pl to the data directory, chmod it to 755, and run it. It will add the new field, "ReceiveMail".

To go directly from v1.1 to v2.0, bypassing the betas, put upgrade.pl (the one that comes with the 2.0 release) in the data directory, chmod it to 755, and run it. It will remove the NULL, and add 3 fields to the database (as mentioned above).

I hope this helps.

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited February 17, 1999).]