Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Problem with low volume newsletter

Quote Reply
Problem with low volume newsletter
Could some one tell me why and/or how the low volume newsletter works?

I am assuming that whoever subscribes will recieve new additions to my database in their inbox. If this is correct, then mine is not working. MY sendmail program is working just fine. In fact, the entire links program is working fine, just not the newsletter area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mic
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with low volume newsletter In reply to
Couple problems:

1) Your ISP may have set restrictions on the number of mass mailings you can send out.

2) You have not properly referenced the email.db file in your links.cfg, so that the email addresses are not parsed out.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I didn't know what you meant by "properly referenced", so I decided to run the script from the browser and received this message

Quote:
Mailing Users

Mailing started on Thu Mar 16 23:29:53 2000
No message defined! Aborting!

What does it mean? What is the operational theory behind the newsletter?

Mic
Quote Reply
1) You cannot run the nph-email.cgi script via telnet. It can only be executed via your web browser. That was your first mistake.

2) Do you see a list of email addresses in the upper texbox? If not, then you need to configure the following variable in the links.cfg file:

Code:
$db_email_name = "$db_lib_path/data/email,db";

This IS what I MEANT by referencing the email.db file.

3) Also, check to make sure that you have email addresses in the email.db file.

4) Make sure that a message appears in the bottom text box with a list of new sites. If nothing appears, type in a message and click on the submit button.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
No offense Anthro, but you're confusing the hell out of me.

Quote:
You cannot run the nph-email.cgi script via telnet. It can only be executed via your web browser. That was your first mistake.

Please read myt message again, tis exactly what I did.

Quote:
Do you see a list of email addresses in the upper texbox? If not, then you need to
configure the following variable in the links.cfg file:

It is configured. Smile

Quote:
Also, check to make sure that you have email addresses in the email.db file.

By adding my email I discovered it wasn't working.

Quote:
Make sure that a message appears in the bottom text box with a list of new sites.
If nothing appears, type in a message and click on the submit button.

I think this is where my problem lies. Where do i find this bottom text box; list of new sites and the message?

Quote Reply
1) You stated:

Code:
$db_email_name = "$db_lib_path/data/email.db";

as I stated before.

3) Make sure that the permission of the subscribe.cgi file is set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

4) Make sure that the Perl Path is set correctly in the first line of the subscribe.cgi file.

5) Make sure that you have the correct path to the links.cfg file in your subscribe.cgi file. This should be the full absolute path like you have used in the nph-build.cgi file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 17, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hello AnthroRules,

I want to apologize whole heartedly for my infinite stupidity and I thank you for you time and effort.

I never did have a problem. Turns out all I needed to do was click the Newsletter link on the tool bar. It works fine.

I won't go into further detail of why I missed clicking the link, but if you feel compelled to taunt me, that's ok.

DOH!! Smile

Mic