Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Problem 2: add.cgi

Quote Reply
Problem 2: add.cgi
I can create a new link in admin.cgi, but whenever I test the index.html page and try to create a link, I get a message saying it cannot find the file.

I could not get links to run when it was located under my cgi-bin dir, so I installed it to a links folder in my main directory. This works fine because it then creates the index.html file in my main folder where I want it, however add.cgi is located in the links folder under my main folder for the website. When the main page creates the link to add.cgi it creates it as a link to add.cgi in my main folder, and not the links folder. If I insert "/links/" in the URL in my browser it finds add.cgi ok, but if I try to add a link it brings up another cannot find the file message. I *know* this has to be path related, but I cannot figure out which one I need to change.

If I go to the bottom of links.cfg and change the path there to include the /links/ for add.cgi I get a message saying it is unable to concatenate the scalar variable assigned at that point or somesuch message. Any ideas what I need to do?

(Oh, jump.cgi, search.cgi etc all seem to have a similar problem)
Quote Reply
Re: Problem 2: add.cgi In reply to
$db_cgi_url is the variable in links.cfg that needs to point to the directory for the user accessible scripts such as add.cgi, search.cgi, etc.

$db_script_path and $db_dir_url should be pointing to your admin directory.

Just as a rule of thumb, if the first five paths/URLs are set correctly in Links v2, none of the other paths/URL settings need to be changed from the defaults. They will be based on those first five.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited May 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Problem 2: add.cgi In reply to
I managed to get it up and running properly. The only things different from the installation described in the readme,etc is that I could not get it to run when located as a subdir of my cgi-bin, so I just made a new directory called admin and located it there. It works fine now though.