Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Permissions on UNIX Problems

Quote Reply
Permissions on UNIX Problems
Ok, I have tried everything. I have searched these forums inside and out last night trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have edited in various ways with no joy the absolute addresses, relational addresses, Perl calls, permissions and more. And I am still lost.

I did use the search and found many helpful hints but still to luck.

I am wondering if it because the server we are on allows for Owner and Others Permissions... it does not have a place for Group. Can anyone let me know if it does? I am setting the Others to what the Readme file shows as Others and just skipping the Group permissions.

Quote Reply
Re: Permissions on UNIX Problems In reply to
Er, that doesn't sound ok. What do you mean by "can't set owner"? Does the system not allow it? Does your ftp clinet give an error? If so, what is the error.

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
No, We can set owner. Through WS-FTP, we can set all Permissions, but through the web site control panel, we are only able to set Owner and Others Permissions.

WS-FTP is giving me some strange results though too, I have noticed, such as it changes all the Permissions in a directory when I only change one files Permissions.

I am on Hostpro UNIX if that helps any.

Quote Reply
>>WS-FTP is giving me some strange results though too, I
>>have noticed, such as it changes all the Permissions in a
>>directory when I only change one files Permissions.

No, the checkboxes reflect last setting used, not current permissions on the file you are looking at. If you hit the DirInfo button you can see the real permissions of the files.

If you can't set permissions properly through a web control panel, don't use it. Use ws_ftp.

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
Ok, I am using WS-FTP. I have been playing around for a while but still no luck. I have searched the forums here again but haven't found anything I think is wrong.

I am now getting:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

So I must be getting close.... Any help is appreciated. I think I am only a day away before I will have to pay someone to do it, haha.