Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Links no longer works

Quote Reply
Links no longer works
Hello,

My server transfered the entire links script and categories and now it no longer searches. The error message i get is this:

Quote:
CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /home/users/cdnbiz/www/CGI-BIN/cbd /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /home/users/cdnbiz/www/CGI-BIN/cbd/admin/Template.pm line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/users/cdnbiz/www/CGI-BIN/cbd/admin/Template.pm line 21.

Script Location : /home/users/cdnbiz/www/CGI-BIN/cbd/search.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404

What does
Quote:
Can't locate strict.pm
mean?

The site is located here www.cdnbusinessdirectory.com Can anyone help me please. I do not understand this message.

[This message has been edited by makker (edited April 18, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: Links no longer works In reply to
well I searched thru the files here at the forum. As I understand it, the server must have the strict.pm module installed. Can I turn it off until they do install it? if they install it!

Quote Reply
I did some more searching and debugged this problem as far as I can. Now I am getting this error

Quote:
Error Message : fatal error: syntax error at /home/users/cdnbiz/www/CGI-BIN/cbd/admin/Template.pm line 22, near "require vars qw($VERSION $error @ISA @EXPORT)"

I found the answer to my original question here, www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum10/HTML/000232.html

but the help stopped for Zeddy and I am left up the creek without a paddle.

Keep looking I guess, cuz my site is toast right now.

Cheers,

mic

Quote Reply
hmmmm,

been searching for 3 hours or so, and can't find my answer. Here is the new error message

Quote:
Error Message : fatal error: syntax error at /home/users/cdnbiz/www/CGI-BIN/cbd/admin/Template.pm line 22, near "require vars qw($VERSION $error @ISA @EXPORT)"
Quote Reply
You need to have your hosting company install and compile the recent Perl modules. And your Perl package should be upgraded to 5.0503 or 5.60.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Hello Anthro,

I really appreciate your reply.

I commented out the first two lines in the Template.pm file and the search routine is working again.

Like this
Quote:
# require strict;
# require vars qw($VERSION $error @ISA @EXPORT); # Globals.
@ISA = (); # Not inhereited.
@EXPORT = qw();
$Template::VERSION = '1.0';

Can't build anything, but at least I do not have to shut down the site.

In regards to my server. I have emailed them to ask if they have the Template.pm and Strict.pm modules installed. I know believe they do because if I take the comments out from above code, the server finds the modules, but I get a syntax error.

Incidentally, this entire links directory moved from a server running Perl 5.003 where it was working perfectly fine to a server that is running Perl 5.00404 and not working very well...so do you still think that upgrading the Perl modules is the answer?

Thank you again for your reply.

Mic

[This message has been edited by makker (edited April 18, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Uh...you already have the Template.pm installed, which comes with LINKS!!

You need to have Strict.pm installed (and while your hosting company is at it), they should just upgrade their Perl package to include ALL the current Perl Modules.

Quote:
so do you still think that upgrading the Perl modules is the answer?

Yes...because the current server where you have your site located clearly is missing some Perl modules, such as Strict.pm.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply

Quote:
Can I add the Strict.pm module myself?

No...Perl modules have to be compiled in the main Perl lib directory by the sysadmin.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Hello Anthro,

Excuse me for wondering, but if the Strict.pm is missing wouldn't it be safe to say that I should continue to have this error message:

Quote:
Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains

when I uncomment the require call in the Template.pm Because I don't get that error message anymore, since I changed it from "use strict" to "require Strict" I just get a syntax error message when I uncomment.

I just want to be absolutely clear when I get on the phone tommorrow with my server and refer him to this threaded discussion, that he needs to update modules in order for me to get back into the game.

Can I add the Strict.pm module myself?

Thanks, hope I'm not frustruating you.

Mic

[This message has been edited by makker (edited April 19, 2000).]