Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error: Can't find link id: ##

Quote Reply
Error: Can't find link id: ##
Hi. I just installed the script and its working great. Except when I click one of the links in my database, I get the following error:

Error: Can't find link id: 3

No matter what link I click I get this error. Can someone please help me, i'm very fluent with CGI scripts as I run a CGI scripting site and write scripts myself. The sites at:
www.free-scripts.net/www

Thanks.

------------------
Adam Daley
adam@thelighthouse.net
www.free-scripts.net
Quote Reply
Re: Error: Can't find link id: ## In reply to
Things to check:

1. Is there a link with the ID of 3 located in your links.db file?

2. Is this an upgrade from v1 to v2 and, if so, did you run upgrade.pl in your data directory? If you did run upgrade.pl, did you rename links2.db to links.db before running Links?

3. Are there two records with ID 3 in the database, or one with the ID shown more than once (it happens sometimes)? For example, 3|3|3| as the first three fields.

4. Have you added any new fields to the links records but not added them to any records in links.db that were there before you added the field?

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited March 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
My links.db file is chmodded 666 but the file has no data in it? Why is this? Hrm...

------------------
Adam Daley
adam@thelighthouse.net
www.free-scripts.net
Quote Reply
Woops, actually here is my links.db file:

3|Free-Scripts.Net|http://www.free-scripts.net|13-Mar-1999|Site_Tools/CGI|Free mIRC and CGI scripts, webspace, email, an html guide, chat, online email chcker, top sites contest, and many other resources.|Adam Daley|adam@thelighthouse.net|0|No|No|0|0|Yes
4|Adam's Web Design|http://www.free-scripts.net/design|13-Mar-1999|Design|Quality web designs by a professional. We will not make a page we don't like ourselves. All pages are guaranteed to be unique and appealing to the eye. Check out our page today.|Adam Daley|adam@thelighthouse.net|0|No|No|0|0|Yes
5|Custom Cabling|http://www.free-scripts.net/custom|13-Mar-1999|Business/Products|In need of network cable for your home or business office. Check out our low prices. Custom length network cable at 15 cents a foot. Add RJ45 jacks at $2 an end and you have a custom length network cable. Cat5 cable also available in bulk packages.|Adam Daley|adam@thelighthouse.net|0|No|No|0|0|Yes

Dunno why its not working

------------------
Adam Daley
adam@thelighthouse.net
www.free-scripts.net
Quote Reply
Make sure that the paths you have in links.cfg are correct and that they do not point to another, empty, copy of links.db someplace.
Quote Reply
Everything looks okay. I mean the whole site works, even the ratings, execpt for the hits ID stuff. Im not even sure of the ratings are working. It seems anything with ID doesnt work.

------------------
Adam Daley
adam@thelighthouse.net
www.free-scripts.net
Quote Reply
I just visited your site. No categories or links display at all. Something is amiss here.
Quote Reply
Notice the TIME i wrote that message. I fixed it. I had to chmod the BACKUP directory 777 before I built it. MIGHT wanna add that to the instructions. Also, might wanna add to the FAQ how to delete the annoying pop and new text next to each category.

------------------
Adam Daley
adam@thelighthouse.net
www.free-scripts.net