Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

2.0 Permissions

Quote Reply
2.0 Permissions
I apologise if this sounds incredibly lame, but could someone please be so kind as to post the permissions for every file and directory in Links 2.0 as I suspect the permissions stated in the readme file are a bit brief as I am sure the rest is obvious to regular UNIX users.

I did install Links 1.11 without any problems some time ago, but there was a complete breakdown of the permissions in that readme file Smile

I did not try any of the betas for 2.0 and waited for the completed version, I set the permissions according to the instructions and nothing worked, I didn't even get any error messages, I simply got the 3 frame admin.cgi page but each frame contained my site's 404 page. So I went through and re did permissions according to the old 1.11 directions and guess-imated on some others and still nothing works. I am totally stuck and I am sure it is something really stupid and simple.

Thanks for your patience and any help you can provide!
Quote Reply
Re: 2.0 Permissions In reply to
What is specified in the v2.0 readme file is correct:

Quote:
chmod 755 (-rwxr-xr-x) on all .cgi files.
chmod 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) on all files in the data directory.
chmod 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) on all your template files (if using the online editor).
chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) on the hits directory
chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) on the ratings directory
chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) on the directory where Links pages will be created.

The only thing I would add is, password protect your admin directory and then chmod 777 all the following sub-directories:

backup
hits
ratings
data

If, after doing that, you still get the errors in the frames, something else might be wrong.

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/
goodstufflists.home.ml.org/