Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Search gone mental!

Quote Reply
Search gone mental!
I was wondering if you could help me. The problem is to do with the search fuction of Links. For example if you go to my website @ www.gamebo.com you will see i have categories as follows:

Dreamcast (36) new
Action, Adventure, Cheats...
Mac (2) new
Nintendo 64 (0)
Action, Adventure, Cheats... PC (2)
Playstation (1)
X-BOX (4)
Cheats, General, News

Thus there are Five Action Sub categories in my index. So you would expect if you search for Action it would list all these categories. But this is not so is always brings up the following results:

2 Categories

Categories

Dreamcast:Action
Mac:Action

This is the same if you search for cheats and so on. What could be wrong.

Quote Reply
Re: Search gone mental! In reply to
Have you set your Category field to be searchable?

Quote Reply
You mean as in:

# Field names you want to allow visitors to search on:
@search_fields = (1,2,5,4);

Yes i have it still only returns category results for dreamcast and mac. Try to search yourself. Search for cheats and it will only bring up :

Categories

Dreamcast:Cheats
Mac:Cheats

When i believe it should bring up:

Categories

Dreamcast:Cheats
Mac:Cheats
Pc:Cheats
Nintendo_64:Cheats and so on.

Quote Reply
Hint: Try adding a link in PC:Cheats. Build pages. Then try and do a search again. Then you will get results for PC:Cheats too.
I think ... though I haven't thought about this before, it seems logical that search.cgi only brings up results for categories with content Smile

Quote Reply
Your right....silly me. One more thing though. Its weird but my links database keeps having its permissions re-set to 644. Thus it will not be able to write to this filw when i validate. I and building my pages through shell and cron and not through the admin. This problem has only start since i started build via the shell and cron.

Quote Reply
Good Smile
To your other question, first of all, you should start a new thread, for this in the Links 2 Discussion Forum, since it's not related to mods. But first, try here: telnet build - there are known problems with this, and probably some kind of solution somewhere in the forums....