Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

RECIP link checkin

(Page 2 of 4)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: RECIP link checkin In reply to
t_dog,

This line controls where the report is going to be printed.
open (REPORT, ">$recip_report");

So if you change $recip_report variable, It should point to the new directory. Make sure you have write permission in that directory and even better upload a blank file called recip.html and chmod it to 666 so you will make sure everything is set.

Also make sure your $report_url is pointing to the right place (i.e. the new location of the recip.html) otherwise you will be accessing the report in the old location where it is no longer from the admin page.

Also thanks for the corrections. If anyone else spots anything else please let me know. You are right on all of them...

My server is set up funky so I didn't catch the no html in cgi-bin directory thing. I am allowed to put html in my cgi-bin. If anyone gets it set properly, if you could e-mail me any changes I need to make to the instructions to make the script work by putting the .html report outside of the cgi-bin dir. Let me know if any of my suggestions work. If not I must be missing something.....

Good Luck,
-Delay
Quote Reply
I think I modified the instructions to take into account that html is not allowed in most cgi-bin directories. The new instructions are in the same location.

http://www.uv-ray.com/recip_mod/

Don't know if they are correct though since I haven't gone through the installation with them. Please let me know if they work for you....

-Delay
Quote Reply
Hmm... I changed both $recip_report and $report_url. Now the script is pointing to the write path for the report, but it is not generating the report. I tried creating a blank recip.html chmod 666, but it still doesn't work.
Quote Reply
I don't know why I didn't think of this before. The RECIP link shecker is a lot easier than all of the other stuff if you want to check for an image on the site. Just modify jump.cgi to point to a different hits field in the database, and call the image jumpimage.cgi?ID=whatever - This will add a hit for the page each time the image is displayed. Then you can do a simple search for all the sites with 0 image displays and do whatever you want with them.

------------------
Quote Reply
Sorry t_dog,

I can't think of anything else that might be causing the problem.

Try running recip.cgi from the telnet shell to make sure it is executing.
Also in this line
open (REPORT, ">$recip_report");
in the script you might replace $recip_report with the full path and name to your recip.html

If the script is running ok it sounds like a permission problem because it isn't generating the page but you said you already checked that... strange....
Quote Reply
t_dog,

when I wrote the instructions I had to adjust them from my own script. my actual field is $links[19] Smile

On the priority links deal. You can look at another modification. It is in the mod section. It is a priority link and graphic mod for those you want to sort to the top of a page. You could follow that mods instructions and modify it so it would sort based on a new hit field. You would have to probably look at the code for a toplist as they do something similar to what you are interested in for incrementing a counter or a log file. I don't have any interest in this feature for my own site currently. Maybe in the future. It would be pretty cool though.
Quote Reply
t_dog, you will notice in the perl that the if statements eliminate all actions unless there is a LINK[14] which will be the recip url defined in links.def.

you can however opt to check the main url which will be link[2] insead of link[14].

bear in mind however this will possibly double the time needed for the script to check for a link. what i suggest is to add a simple statement like

&getcontent("$links[14]");
if (counter < 1){&getcontent("$links[2]");}

don't take my word for this, but you might want to try a few conditional statements. I was playing around but the results were always duplicated on the page so i said "oh well."

did anyone find our how to create a link on a user's site which will increment the hitconter??? so as to show higher stats from sites who send traffic? this would be a real great addition to the recip checker

hope all works well for you...
Quote Reply
Well, I guess I'm just very stupid Smile

I have added several fields to links.def, so the RECIP field is actually Links[20]. I replaced Links[14] with Links[20] and everything works fine now. Perhaps you should get Delay to add this bid in the instructions.

The idea incrementing the hit counter is an interesting one. However, I think increasing the hit count of sites that link back isn't fair. The stats should remain accurate. There should be some way to gives sites that send traffic priority in the listing. But this becomes the issue of sorting. I remember reading a thread regarding sorting, and it ended up with everyone bashing their heads against the wall Smile Perhaps we can get Bobsie to help out. Have you noticed that he hasn't posted anything in this thread?

Yawn... sleepy but very happy...
Quote Reply
t-dog,

There are four things I avoid getting involved with:

1. Style sheets - I don't know enough about them.

2. Sorting - I just haven't had the time to really get into studying the code used in Links.

3. Searching - Same as number 2 except for some very minor things.

4. Other people's mods (unless I install and use them) - I just cannot install and test each one. I let the mod authors deal with any problems with them. So far, I haven't used anyone else's mods. This might change once I have my own site looking the way I want it.

The only time I post in a thread is when I have something intelligent to contribute that might make a difference. So far in this thread, I haven't. Smile

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited June 21, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I found the mistake. I used $build_root_url/recip.html instead the correct $build_root_path/recip.html to define $recip_report. So stupid

But now I have another problem. The report I see is empty!? The report says "Reciprical Link Report" with the date and time, delete and reset buttons beneath. I intentionally added links that don't have the recriprocal links up, but recip.cgi doesn't seem to see them.

Can you give me some suggestions?
Quote Reply
Does recip.cgi automatically send an email to those who don't have a reciprocal link? Can you make that an option? Perhaps you can execute email-sending from the report page?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
i have a simple twist to the recip mod.

find and replace $db_links_name

with $db_valid_name

it's a cool way to ensure they are linking BEFORE you add them into the database. then use them email notices in the mod a little differently telling them that "our robot didn't find your link..."

I have removed any input buttons which modify the database since i just want to OBSERVE what the script finds. all validations are still done using the admin screen

if you want to use this as a validator, just change the submit button to execute the validate script rather than the delete

Quote Reply
Hi Guys,

Have to say great idea. Perfect for someone like me who has already implemented the 'remote rate this site' mod which requests that people that sign-up copy the code generated by the sign-up success page (dynamically includes their id) and paste it onto their site!

However, I've just spent the past hour trying to implement the reciprocal URL checker, unfortunately without success.

I followed the instructions to the letter. Also made all relvant mods (couldn't use 14 either - already taken). Have checked and double checked all paths and permissions.

Because search engine is still in beta stage I placed a single link in the database with a reciprocal URL which contained the necessary link needed to be checked (on another site I run on a different server).

My report is empty???

Either the link checking is not 'spidering' the reciprocal link properly or something else is wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

- Cheers

PS - Hate to tell you this but as you can see Reciprical = Reciprocal ;-)
Quote Reply
I have a Question about deleting records from the recip report...
When you delete does it delete the whole record or just the field that holds the recip link? If it deletes the whole field, can it be modified to delete just two fields? I would like it to just remove the URL in the recip field(field 15 on mine) and the "Yes" out of the following field that I use to add a graphic in the listings showing that the site has linked back. Can this be done?

------------------
Quote Reply
it deletes the whole record because it used the same delete script used when deleting records from the admin screen.

This mod is a little different than what i think you are looking for. it's used as a sort of maintenance program and not run when you update your pages. it checks the page of all the recip pages, so i don't think you would want your updates crashing all the time if you are updating your pages via the staggard options for example.

you might consider integrating a few of the priority mods i have seen in here to do it and add a recip (yes/no) field

this would be pretty interesting, lets keep the thought going
Quote Reply
hmmm, well, I can see what you mean but I wasn't planning on using it when I build, or even when I validate. I want to use it like once or twice a week. The thing is I'm not making it a requiment to have a link to my site, but to reward those that do. In other words I don't want to totally remove a "bad" link entirely from my site, just the link back "program". If you are still confused this might help (it's a discription of overall what I want to accomplish - I'm just trying to tackle it one step at a time) http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/002150.html

I'm wondering if rather than trying to modify the delete to meet my needs, maybe I can replace the delete function with a function that will launch the "bad" links in the modify form so I can manually change the 2 fields I want to.
Quote Reply
It's not pretty, but I figured out a way to accomplish what I wanted. I basicly turned each link that comes back into a mini-search form. When you click the submit button for a link it calls up the natching record in the modify window so I can edit the two fields I want to edit. The only negative is I have to do this for each link. I'm trying to figure out a way to have only one form and when submited all the links come up in full records, but I'm running into problems with it combining the terms for the search.

ie. say I have ID#38 and ID#103 Returning as not having the link when I sumbit it looks for records with both sets of numbers in the ID field which doesn't exist.

I'm not sure if there is a solution to this one, but I'd like to know if someone can figure it out.
Sheldon
Quote Reply
I'm getting an error about not finding an object "new" in the Request.pm called from Simple.pm using this mod...any ideas?

Quote Reply
Hello,

The script runs from my admin window. However, it only gives me the following report:
Code:
Reciprical Link Report
Tuesday, September 7 1999 - 16:47:29

It does not give me any link or other information besides that. Any ideas as to why?

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
Nice Work, but wouldn't it be nice to accept free listings with no recip link, a priority listing with 468x60 banner for extra income with no recip link, and an affiliate listing with 90 x 60 logo and description with a required recip link?
Quote Reply
Hello all,

I did everything according to the page of uv-ray.com/recip_mod

and I can compile my pages, but when I want to run recip.cgi I get an internal server error.

I checked everything, and all my path's are o.k. and even tried it with a blank recip.html and chmod 666 but still the server error.

What can this be?

Is it because I have all my links till today in a database without the new entry ( recip [19]) ???

Hans

hans@girlslinks.com

------------------
Quote Reply
And yes. I did a chmod 755 on the recip.cgi

Smile
Quote Reply
Delay
i was trying to install reciprocal
link checker without luck
http://www.uv-ray.com/recip_mod/

.I have try almost all options
playing on that thing for more then 4h
without success.
Whatever i try to load now it gives me errors
out.
http://www.linkdatabase.com/cgi-bin/add.cgi
http://www.linkdatabase.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

http://www.linkdatabase.com/cgi-bin/admin/links.def

i have no idea what happened,
Delay i will pay you if you can install me
that reciprocal link checker
its the last thing i need before i am gonna
open my site.

email me if you can do me a favor
oliver@kombo.net

------------------
p.s: i removed linkchecker lines from links.def,links.cfg and add.cgi ,waiting
someone to help me,please email me .

Regards

[This message has been edited by oliver9 (edited November 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi great mod. I have a few problems and I am very inept in adding scripts so I hope you will bear with me.
The problem seems to be that when I go to validate a new link the recip field is blank.
When prompted to ask for a link it does in fact ask for the reciprical link but both e-mail and validate never show it. So if I then click on run report within a minute I get the nice blue box asking me to "delete"or "reset" but no data appears. I assume it's because it is not in the database.
If anyone can help me out it would be great.
Thank you
lewis
www.atozfitness.com
Quote Reply
lewisw,

Find all the things that look something like:

Quote:
$links[20]

There's a bunch of them. Change them to fit your links.def. That's what helped me. Now, it works okay.

HTH

Thanks for this mod!

------------------
ARMYNAVY.COM
MilitarySurplus Ring

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited December 01, 1999).]
> > > >