Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Current Day's New Links on "What's New" index page

Quote Reply
Current Day's New Links on "What's New" index page
Is it possible to get a given day's links to show up on the "Whats New" index page, EXACTLY as they appear on the date page?

For example, your site is set up so that your what's new page is at

/links/New/index.html

That page has links to the most recent however-many days you consider "new". The newest/current day page in your /links/New directory with actual links is, for example

/links/New/31-March-2000.html

with links sorted by category.

Is it possible to essentially generate the content in that page twice, so that it appears both in /links/New/index.html AND /links/New/31-March-2000.html? Links to the other New pages could appear either underneath that information or whever.

It seems like it should just be a big Paste in either site_html_template.pl and/or nph_build.cgi, but I'm not quite sure what to paste where.

Any help will be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Day's New Links on "What's New" index page In reply to
Not necessarily a Paste job, but a Perl job! Wink

You would have to define a variable for today. Then parse the links from the "today" set of links to the What's New Home Page...not that easy as you have suggested.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
OK, now I'm thoroughly confused.

Why would I need to define new variables when they're already defined somewhere? I mean, Links generates What's New pages separated by date all on its own; why would having it use the same content twice in exactly the same way mean that I would need to define new variables? (And if I did, where would they go?)

I think maybe I'm not being clear, so let me try again with a more concrete example.

On your site, the What's New index page is generated in your Site_Updates directory at
http://vlib.anthrotech.com/Site_Updates/index.shtml

the most recent day's link is at
http://vlib.anthrotech.com/Site_Updates/31-Mar-2000.shtml

What I want to do on my site is to pull the content of 31-Mar-2000.shtml into index.shtml, exactly as presented on that page, no changes to format or content or anything.

Is that clearer?

thanks,
iain.
Quote Reply
I know what you are looking for and if you understood the codes better, you would see that you would have to define a today variable that would TAKE out the links in the most recent NEW page and put it into the main What's New Page.

Currently, the only thing that the sub build_new_page routine does is takes the most recent links and puts them into the $new_links{$category} associated hash. The sub does NOT define a TODAY variable for the newly added sites.

Do you understand now?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 31, 2000).]