Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer List : Discussion :

Subscribe feature via email

Quote Reply
Subscribe feature via email
It would be really good to have the ability to subscribe to a particular mailing list just by sending a message to a mailbox.
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Subscribe feature via email In reply to
Hi,

I'm working on modifying GList as a separate offering, that will work to allow you to subscribe to lists using a check-box format. The interface will be through Gossamer Community, to track users.

I do _not_ like open lists, untracked sign ups, etc. There is no reason for it. If a person is adding their email to a list, they can validate it for a Community sign up first :)

But, I'm hoping to add in subscribe- and unsubscribe- requests to the list.

This is going to be integrated into GForum, which will be the list manager/archive more or less.

It might not be what you want, and I don't have a release date yet (I'm just starting going over the codes).

Because this is a "munge" of a lot of programs and functionality, the features I'm hoping to have are:

1) mailing lists subscribed/unsubscribed via a checkbox in your community log on.
2) by-mail subscribe-/unsubscribe- requests handled
3) integration with GForum, where each list can be set up as a FORUM (admin option)
4) daily digest (GForum functionality)
5) individual outgoing posts by mail -- ?? Maybe, maybe not. (ie: full discussion group functionality)
5a) my goal is to bring people into the forum, so #5 would really defeat that purpose
6) bounce message handling by max_bounce_count and max_bounce_time type settings (modified GList functionality)
7) minimal auto respond capability, for requests for daily archives, FAQ's, etc.
8) Limiting requests by user status -- GForum functionality -- ie: paid subscribers, donation status, etc.

There's more I hope to add in, but right now, that's a handful <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Subscribe feature via email In reply to
It's interesting!
In wich form will this work be presented? It seems to be a modification of Glist... Why you do not propose this work to GT and resell it so it will be included in the next update?
Consider that with a mod it would be difficult to catch up official upgrades...
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Subscribe feature via email In reply to
Hi,

The agreements with GT are still up in the air :) Until they see what it is, it's hard to come up with any real working agreements.... but as I've told them, since the begining, any mods that they want to incorporate into the main product, are fine. It's one less mod to maintain ;)

This _is_ a rewrite of GList, with some other stuff. It requires you to have either a GList license, and use this code, (ie: switch over from their version to this version) or to purchase this version, which will most likely have a GList license built in. It will depend on how much GList code is actually used.

One goal is to make it upgrade-compatible, by keeping variable names, routines, and databases in-line.

GList has a _specific_ purpose. It's *not* a MLM, and it wasn't designed to be. There are great programs out there for that already. Integrating EZMLM into a product might be one way.

This is designed to fill a "niche" in business and hobby sites, where people are interested in knowing about different things "early", but don't want a high-volume of "noise". They can always come back and read announcements they didn't see, but they get a highly-targeted information stream without the noise in a simple check-box format.

So, my major modification will be to move/automate most of the join/unjoin code into a one-page form.

The next part is to allow a user to UNSUB from an email, without having to log on to community directly. Because of potential problems, lists a user has Unsubbed from will be kept separate -- incase emails are intercepted, etc.

The flip side is subscription. That can be done via email, _but_ it needs to approved by a user who logs into their account and OK's it. Double-opt-in or 1.5-opt-in or whatever you want to call it.

The underlying goal is primarily for the website owner to have as close to a 100% "SIGNAL" list, with 0% noise, with as little intervention as possible.

The second part of this, will tie in to the major programs we are writing -- ImageSQL, SQLClassifieds, etc, where their mailing lists coincide with topics or areas (or keywords) in the main site.

Andy and I have a lot of work ahead of us, but the time is right, and pretty much all our futures depend on being able to sift through the noise, and filter out the signal -- amplify it, and use it to its full potential.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.