Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Fanfic Archive

Quote Reply
Fanfic Archive
Hello there!

Currently, the website that I work on, is using Links v2.0. We're very happy with it, as it makes our life a heck of a lot easier. However, due to a lot of the neato things that Links SQL has, we're considering upgrading. I do have a concern though.

What we use Links 2.0 for is a fanfiction archive. It works well and we currently have around 3,000 links. What we're really interested in Links SQL for is the review system. This would mean users could review the link onsite and not have to go to messageboards. However, we have over 4,000 users on our site. A lot of people might be posting reviews at any time. Can Links SQL handle that kind of load or is it dependant on the database? (we're currently on a dedicated server)

Also (and I think this might be a dumb question), I was wondering if there could be any way to port in the review that we have on the messageboards into Links SQL. The messageboards that we use are vBulletin and, from what I understand, everything is stored in a database. Do you know how difficult it would be to port in the pre-existing reviews?

Finally, I was wondering about modification of the admin panel. In the future, we would like to change our site so that users can upload chapters/stories to our site and not have to send them to us. Can the admin panel be changed so that different users could login to the admin panel and only see a subset of the options there? For example, let user A only be able to add links and do nothing else? But user B could see everything, check out the link that user A added (to make sure everything is okay) and validate it?

I think that's it for now...

~Amber
Quote Reply
Re: [Amber] Fanfic Archive In reply to
Hi. Links SQL should have no problem with people adding reviews at the same time. SQL is designed in that way..so no problems should occur.

As for porting over the forum messages, I'm not quite sure. I'm assuming you are storing your data in a MySQL database?

As for your last question...Links SQL comes with an editor system..this could be enabled to let certain 'editors' or 'authors' edit/add their stories to your site.

Hope that helps Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
For the forum, the best thing to do is to purchase a GT Forum license, and also wait for the GT Community plugin that is supposed to integrate all the GT SQL based products together.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I should know this (and will most likely remember after I post this) but which site is this?