Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Cannot verify links..help!!

Quote Reply
Cannot verify links..help!!
Hi, after months of trying to get 3.10 to work I went back to it, managed through massive manipulation to get my old data into the database, managed to change the skins somewhat (working on both IE & Firefox) but now I have discovered two BIG problems. The first is that the links won't verify. I have spent days on this and I'm giving up. I'll ask for help now and hopefully it's something simple or something simply stupid that I did.
When I do the verify it takes a while and then returns a message of "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading". When I check Link Status I notice that there are a few status codes there now, from links I have opened or tried to while I have been testing, I suppose. So, that is working.
Question. Is there a file where you can enable and disable nph-verify? I can't remember if I saw that, I've been in so many scripts the past few weeks they are all blending together in my memory. I've looked and can't find anything specific.
After cruising around the forum looking for info I went intot nph-verify and changed my chunk and max. children to 9 from 10 but that didn't help.
I have 670 links and I absolutely have to verify and correct before I link the program to my site as these have been sitting for a couple of years and there will be lots to modify/delete. And I really need this to be up now....I have another major problem but I will put that in another post. Thanks, S
Quote Reply
Re: [shell] Cannot verify links..help!! In reply to
Your server could be killing long running web processes. Have you tried running nph-verify.cgi from shell (if you can)?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Cannot verify links..help!! In reply to
Hi, yes, I have a bit of a situation w/a help desk attitude and someone still learning so I'm not given info or made aware of changes but he was helpful today, he vnc'd on so I showed him the nph-verify.cgi and the "links verify" in admin and the changes I made to chunk and children (from 10 to 9) in the file so he went and looked. At first I just got the usual "it's their script" (as if the server & script have no relations, lolol) but then he started looking after I kept going on about "web server settings", at last he said there were some settings that could be related and he would look at them. We stayed on the phone and I ran the verify while he watched the web server processes. When I started the first verify (on one link, a recheck)it used about 25% of the server memory and kept running after I got the "reset" page" and then I started another verify and it started up a second session, eating up more memory and then the same with the third try, so three sessions running at once. I'm not sure what it means, but I sure hope this is not a mystery for long! I just tried again at home since he changed a setting late in the day but he changed it to "1000" which I never read anywhere so....tomorrow back to it. I asked about telnet access, I have to try that tomorrow. Thanks, S

Last edited by:

shell: Jun 21, 2006, 7:06 PM
Quote Reply
Hi, it would seem that I can't have telnet access (I have no idea why) and my boss isn't around so I can't query him on it. So, I can't run verify that way. I do have a question though. What is the web server setting for "worker process"? Is this a setting that matters to GT? I am still getting the "the connection was reset" page every time I try to do a verify. As it stands I have to get this to work or I can't use this program. Thanks, S
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What is the web server setting for "worker process"? Is this a setting that matters to GT?
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking there.

If you send me admin panel access, I can take a quick look at it for you.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi I just lost my entire post to you, so this one will be short. I did try taking off the iisprotect password protection from the admin area but that did not change anything with verify. I don't have access to telnet. I guess I have to pm you the info? Thank you, Shell

Last edited by:

shell: Jun 22, 2006, 3:23 PM
Quote Reply
You're on a windows server - that's why you don't have shell access.

After a bit of debugging, it looks like your server doesn't like the updated version of nph-verify. I've reverted back to an older version that works better on windows servers.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi, thank you so much!! I did read about this in the forum and I was going to ask about that...now I can finish the skin, clean up the links and link GT to my site!! Yaahhh!! Thank you for your quick responses and thank you to everyone else who responded. Hopefully all my queries in the near future will be about the skin as I want to alter it more and may need some advice. SSly