Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Using Modify

Quote Reply
Using Modify
I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet. I searched, but couldn't find anything relating to this.

I'm very inexperienced w/ Perl, and so I have nooooo idea what I'm doing wrong. My database is all set up, I've got it set up with my own HTML and everything, and it was all working fine and dandy until just a little while ago. When I go to modify a record, it won't let me submit it. Like, the "Submit" button won't click. I click on it, and nothing happens. I click again, nothing. I've even tried hitting enter instead of clicking. Nothing works. Any advice? Thanks so much, in advance!!!

-Reyhan
Quote Reply
Re: [Reyhan] Using Modify In reply to
Did you by any chance turn on debugging to see if an error displays. Sometimes you can also view the source code of the page and if for some reason there is a sub missing it will tell you there.

To catch any errors within the .cfg file it's best to move the line:

$db_debug = 1;

up above the section # File and URL's

Can you provide a url where you db can be seen.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Using Modify In reply to

Quote Reply
The debugging says...

DBMan encountered an internal error.

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Debug Information
Script Location : db.cgi
Perl Version : 5.008
Setup File : default.cfg

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------

Environment Variables
-------------------------------------------

DOCUMENT_ROOT : /home/onthebit/public_html

GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/x-shockwave-flash, */*

HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_COOKIE : phpbb2mysql_data=a%3A0%3A%7B%7D; phpbb2mysql_data=a%3A2%3A%7Bs%3A11%3A%22autologinid%22%3Bs%3A32%3A%225a2755f43381b1cfbd1ec6752bb74095%22%3Bs%3A6%3A%22userid%22%3Bi%3A6%3B%7D

HTTP_HOST : www.onthebitsim.com
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
PATH : /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/binQUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 141.157.60.104
REMOTE_PORT : 12635
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /cgi-bin/mrdb/db.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /home/onthebit/public_html/cgi-bin/mrdb/db.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /cgi-bin/mrdb/db.cgi
SERVER_ADDR : 66.235.198.251
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@onthebitsim.com
SERVER_NAME : onthebitsim.com
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 PHP/4.3.2 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.7c

And the URL is http://www.onthebitsim.com/cgi-bin/mrdb/db.cgi

Last edited by:

Reyhan: Apr 12, 2004, 2:04 PM
Quote Reply
Without having the ability to view the form or the page output when trying to modify a record it's impossible to try and figure out what could be wrong.

First thing I would do is to view the source code of the page for modifying a record and see if you can spot anything.

Second, I would check to be sure that somehow your database did not become corrupted. The easiest way to do this is to open the .db file in excel (to view only) and make sure all the fields match up correctly.

You could also post a text copy of your html.pl file and provide the url to where it can be viewed and perhaps someone can spot a problem.

Did you add any other modifications to the database other than your custom fields?

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Quote Reply
Oh, I'm sorry... I forgot that in the previous post (which didn't show up) I had said that you could log in under "test/test" which gives you modify access. I really... ummm... don't understand what you're saying. I am like, completely Perl illiterate.
Quote Reply
Check your sub html_modify_search in your html.pl file as it seems to be missing the form tags to run the search.

<form action="$db_script_url" method="GET" name="form1">
<input type=hidden name="db" value="$db_setup">
<input type=hidden name="uid" value="$db_uid"> |;

or something it causing that portion of the code to not display on the page.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Quote Reply
Thanks so much! That worked!!! Laugh I found that I did the same thing to the deleting section. Thanks sooooo much!