Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Select fields compiled from second database

Quote Reply
Select fields compiled from second database
Hi,

i want to use your build_select_field_from_other_db-fields but I got only the information of the dbkey field of the other database. Have I to change the .pl-file ,too? I wantto insert the ID-Number of the "one" database and the display of two other fields of this database(names) to insert the ID in a second(the add-) database!(compare http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum5/HTML/001373.html )
Quote Reply
Re: Select fields compiled from second database In reply to
I'm not sure if I understand the question you are asking. You are referencing the build select field from another database, which I believe will do just that, but then you are speaking of including fields from a second database. Are these still select fields?

I believe that this mod will only pull in the select fields and not other fields.

In your html_record_form you would need to include:

n html_record_form, in your html.pl file you would need the following to access your select field:

code:
<tr><td>Name:</td><td> |;
print build_select_field_from_other_db("Name",$rec{'Name'});
print qq|</td></tr>

What you may be interested in looking at is the relational mod that JPDeni has written, as this may serve your needs. Visit http://www.jpdeni.com/

This will allow you to work with two databases and to display information from one database into another.

I hope this helps and didn't confuse the issue more for you.
Quote Reply
Can you go into specific detail of what you want to do? I'm confused. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I want to build a Guestbook about for a lot of people. The informations about the peoples are in the first database and now I want to build a second database with the Guestbook.
That means any user can write a Comment to this specific people. I want that the User has 2 opportunities to send his comment.
First with a direct link from the Site with the Peoples information, second is directly in the Guestbook. There he select the Name of this people. To conect the database, i used the dbkey number field 'ID' from the first database. That means that into the ID-Field in the second database insert the ID-Number , but the user only sees the Name.

Thanks for your help,
and please excuse my English!
Quote Reply
Okay. Now I understand what you're doing.

I'll have to think about it for a while. This is rather complicated.

------------------
JPD