Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Same Error - New Cause

Quote Reply
Same Error - New Cause
Okay, I'm getting the same as before. I tried to create multiple (2) databases. I made sure I uploaded them in ASCII, and set their permissions correctly. I can't find any typos in the .cfg files (doesn't mean that there aren't any). What should I do?

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Re: Same Error - New Cause In reply to
I just want to add that I kept the original default.cfg, .pass, etc., just in case something like this happend.

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
What changes have you made to the files?

Also, if you are receiving the carriage error, that means that your files were not transferred in ASCII mode.

BTW: Please simply add Replies to your original Topic rather than posting duplicate Topics in the forums.

Thank you.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 10, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I've made so many changes that I can't possibly think about listing then all. However, I could figure out a way for you to look at them, if you wished. And then you could tell me what I've done wrong.

BTW: I garuntee you I uploaded them in ASCII.

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Okay...WHAT is the MOST RECENT CHANGE you've made to the script????????

BTW: You should ALWAYS keep a history file of the Mods you've installed and the dates, and also where you found the Mod, either a link to the Mod or Topic in the Forums. So, that you can better track your changes and so that you can edit the files as needed to restore the files to their original state!

Again...the carriage error stands for extraneous characters that are in the files due to uploading the files in BINARY mode, when they should've been transferred in ASCII mode.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Sir, you don't have to be rude about this.

I don't remember what the exact last thing I changed. Probably would have been the section in the .cfg file where you define the locations of the .pass, .log, .count, and .db are.

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Well, It is really hard for us to look at all the codes in your files without any clues about what you've changed recently. And I personally do not have the time to go through all your files line by line to find the error.

Sorry.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Okay...

I started from scratch - whole new zip, everything. It's working fine now. Only, I still have the Demo database.
I've tried to make my own database, but the script isn't showing any changes.
Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
When I say that it's not showing any changes, I mean that the fields aren't changing. I've deleted every record in the .db file, deleted everything in the .cout file, and only changed one field name in the .cfg file. I didn't change any of the properties about the field (i.e. the size, defualt, maxlength, etc.). I decided to take this time around at a slow pace; making sure I cover everything and don't make any mistakes.

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Did you change the fields in the %db_def file? Then you need to change the input fields in the sub html_record_form in the html.pl unless you are using auto-generation. Then you have to put the new fields to print in the sub html_record routine in the html.pl file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
This part of the script is a little bit beyond my understanding. I'm going to need some serious help if I'm going to try to attempt this. What part do I need to change exactly?
Here's what I'm aiming for:
The fields I need are: ID, Last Update (tells when it was last updated. Would be nice if this was automatically filled in with the current date), Departure, Destination, Type, Airways, Navaid Info.
Fields are listed in order of which I need them to be seen on the pages. All fields must have something entered into them. And I need to be able to have over 10,000 entries.
ID is a number. Last Update is a date. Departure and Destination are text. Type is drop down box with "Jet" and "Victor" as the only two selections. Airways is a text with numbers (i.e. "J64, J23..."). Navaid Info is the same as Airways, but this one needs to be text box (Like the one I'm writing in now).
The authorization needs to be set where people have to login to do anything. Once logged in, they can only view. I need to be admin w/ all rights given, with one other person who can do everything but admin.

Thanks for your help.

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Read the web pages at the following web site and there is also a script called Configurator that helps to setup your html.pl and default.cfg files:

If you can't figure out what to do from reading the pages at this site, then contact one of the Installers to help you. If that option doesn't work for you, then you will have to post one step at a time in this Forum what you want to do.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
This configurator will probably make it much easier. However, I am still confused about two things.
One: What's the difference between visible, invisible, and admin only.
Two: What's the key field for?

Thanks...

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
1) What's the difference between visible, invisible, and admin only.

This is for setting user permission links in the Main Menu and the Footer section of web pages, like the following:

($per_admin) ($per_view) ($per_add) ($per_del) ($per_mod)

2) The $db_key variable is for keeping unique records in the database and reducing the risk of duplicate records.

PLEASE read the web pages at the site I recommended, because they provide more information than is in the README file. Also refer to the FAQs in the Resource Center.

The Resource Center is the first place to check for FAQs and Modification ideas, and other resources for DBMAN.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I just wanted to thank you for your help! It works like a charm now!!

THANKS!!!

------------------
Sincerely,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
Good. You're welcome.

And...I seriously HOPE that you HEED my advice about documenting Modifications you make the scripts and files...It will help to fix errors that arise.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center