Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Only partial record displays on search

Quote Reply
Only partial record displays on search
Uh oh. I must've done something to the subroutine that displays a record.

When I search it only shows the top half of the record. When more than one record is found, it displays just the top except for the last one which displays the whole thing.

Please help!

Thanks forever and always.

Lenny

------------------
Catalyst for the new millenium
Quote Reply
Re: Only partial record displays on search In reply to
I'd have to look at your html.pl file to have any idea of what the problem is.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Oh, of course. My mistake I was just about to edit. (Wow! Welcome back-hope you feel well. Your presence was greatly missed).

BTW, it seems the problem is a Netscape thing, looking in IE, it looks fine.

www.tasteofbrooklyn.com/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/main3.html

try looking up Carrol Gardens and Italian.

Thanks!

Lenny
Quote Reply
CyborgNY -

you are missing the following TAGS in your html - I copied your file to my local PC and right after your "Search Results" you have placed some Javascript. After the javascript and just before your next <TABLE> starts you need to insert the following tags to close your header - this will make the "Search Results" header show up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same thing with only part of your records showing up in Netscape. Just after your javascript in the record section you will need to insert a

</TD></TR></TABLE>

just before the next <TABLE> begins.

Once you insert this everything should appear correct in both Netscape and IE. Netscape is not as forgiving when it comes to formatting TABLE's as IE is.

Hope this helps!

----------------
donm

[This message has been edited by donm (edited September 27, 1999).]

Quote Reply
Thanks, Lenny. Smile I am feeling better now, but I never know when another one of those nasty migraines will hit.

Don gave you good advice. I was thinking it was probably a problem with <table> tags.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks for the tip. I tried putting it in after the Javascript: in the html.pl file under sub html_record, and it created two columns of records. A neat trick, but not what I needed.

I'll keep trying -- unless of course DonM would kindly look at it again and tell me approximately which subroutine he's talking about ??

Sorry to be so dense. THANKS!
Quote Reply
Lenny, I need you to copy your html.pl file to a web-accessible directory and rename it to html_pl.txt. Then let me know where it is and I'll take a look.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Gee thanks. That would be great.

See if this link works:

http://www.tasteofbrooklyn.com/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/html.pl.txt
Quote Reply
I've got the file, Lenny, and I'll take a look at it after dinner. (There's not much to watch on tv tonight. Smile )

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
CyborgNY - Sorry that was all I could tell you without actually looking at your html.pl - it looks like you need a </TD></TR></TABLE> in your "sub html_record"

Just after

$new_win_java
<P>
<BR>

in sub html_record { do this:

$new_win_java
<P>
<BR>
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There may be one more - but this is what I see right off the bat.

Hope this helps !
------------------
donm
Quote Reply
Don's suggestion is right on, but there is more that needs to be done.

Lenny, I need you to create an html page that has all the formatting you want to appear on every page. Put in your background, images you want to put on each page -- anything that you want to appear.

In the middle of the page, in the place where you want your forms and search results to be, create a table --

Code:
<center>
<table border=1>
<tr><td>forms and displays go here</td></tr>
</table>
</center>

Upload the page to your webspace and tell me where I can pick it up.

I started working on your file, but I'm not sure what you want, so I'm not sure how to fix it. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Dear JP,

please find:

http://www.tasteofbrooklyn.com/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/searchpage.html

My layout.

Some odd problems I'm having with the search returns:

1. The 2nd half of the search results (under the red bar) sometimes gets scooted over to the right (in older IE browsers). It doesn't always line up.

2. Sometimes the 2nd half doesn't show up at all, but hopefully Don's answer will solve this. Seems to.

Ideally, it would all line up in the middle not wasting so much space at the top allowing for ads along both sides.

There also seems to be an extra | mark in the last record displayed -- right above the second half of the last record.

If possible I would like to separate each record with a colored <HR> line.

I'm still working on a solution to searching one $ sign and not also getting $$, $$$, and $$$ !! :-)

Thanks again for any and all assistance you can provide. We're hoping to launch at the end of October.

Best.

Lenny
Quote Reply
I picked up your sample page and I'll see if I can integrate it into your html.pl file. It looks very nice, BTW. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I have edited your html.pl file to include all of your page formatting and I think I found all of your missing table tags. You can pick up the file at http://www.jpdeni.com/lenny_html_pl.txt .

You will need to add the full URLs for the graphics that you included on your page. You can edit quite a bit, but don't change any of the <table>, <tr>, or <td> tags. I'm pretty sure I have them all correct.

As for your <HR size="1" color="red"> tag, I don't think that will work. You will probably have to use a graphic bar.

Quote:
I'm still working on a solution to searching one $ sign and not also getting $$, $$$, and
$$$ !! :-)

We'll work on that. Right now, I'd like to just get your display working. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks so much for the help. Unfortunately, I'm getting the following error message:

CGI ERROR==========================================
Error Message : Error loading required libraries.
Check that they exist, permissions are set correctly and that they compile.
Reason: Can't modify subroutine entry in predecrement at ./html.pl line 54, near "$html_title ="
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at ./html.pl line 113.
Script Location : db.cgiPerl Version : 5.00502
Setup File : default.cfgSession ID : default

[This message has been edited by CyborgNY (edited September 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
It could be because of the text editor you're using. I noticed that your lines wrapped a lot and that would cause the problem you're having.

Delete the file you have now and pick up the file again from my site. Then go to
http://download.com/...l.subcat73.list.tdtl and download Programmer's File Editor. Use that program to do the editing of your files. (It's a freeware program.)

Or, you might be able to use whatever you're using now, as long as you turn off the word-wrap function. In any case, you'll need to start over with the file I edited, because there will be a lot of other lines that will cause errors, too.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Yes, that was it! Thanks SOOOOOOOOO much.

Almost done!

www.tasteofbrooklyn.com/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/main.html
Quote Reply
It's a start! Smile

What next?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
No, I haven't touched db.cgi.

I tried to fix my table and still the search goes awry. But the layout looks great!

search page: http://www.tasteofbrooklyn.com/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/main3.html

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lenny

[This message has been edited by CyborgNY (edited September 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
First, delete the

<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="ma" VALUE="on">

field.

Then upload the original version of the db.cgi script, just to be sure there's no problems there.

Other than that, I don't know what you can do. It's a mystery to me.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Oops! Now my searches aren't precise. I had this problem last week which was ultimately solved by Alex's suggestion to input <---> in my <options> on my search page instead of <- ->, but now that's not working? If I search a neighborhood and a Cuisine, it gives me the cuisine but mixed neighborhoods.

I've taken out the "ma" match any function. Any suggestions? I'm looking around, and even tried Eliots <input type=hidden name="ww" value="on> suggestion, but not working. ??

Search page:

www.tasteofbrooklyn.com/tob/cgi-bin/dbman/main.html

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
I can't get the search to work on that page at all. I click the "Search" button and nothing happens. I think it's probably because your table tags aren't correct.

I did try it using Internet Explorer, and I got the search to work. I got a listing of the records for "Neighborhood" but not for "Cuisine."

I would suggest you work on that page. Fix your table tags first. Instead of "commenting out" fields you don't want to use, delete them.

Have you made any changes to the db.cgi script, especially to sub query?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Seems better. I'm still checking.

Nope. It didn't really help. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.