Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Multiple Fields

Quote Reply
Multiple Fields
Hi jpd I was looking for old responses you gave to Classic
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum5/HTML/000957.html
And i like that but how can i do the same thing with check box field
%db_checkbox_fields = ( Popular => 'Yes' );
So instead of pressing ctrl and another state just use a check box field for every additional item .
how easy would it be!
And can it be done.?
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Fields In reply to
It can be done, yes. What you'll need to do is to create a field for each state and then create a checkbox for each of the state fields. Then they can check off as many as they want.

If you'd like to see a database that uses something similar, go to
http://www.afternight.com/cgi-afternight/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default

and click on "Search." (You might also enjoy the cool javascript stuff he has on his site. Smile )

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited July 09, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Yeah that will be Nice but
will it Be able to Search the same way
If i just Change the Select from multiple to
Single and add The Boxes or what?
Quote Reply
Yes, they will be able to search the same way. You use the checkboxes and people can check of one or more states that they want to search for. You might want to have the "Match Any" box selected by default, depending on what your database is for.

For example, if someone wanted to find records that were in Texas and California, they could check the Texas and California boxes. With "Match Any" checked, they would get all results with either Texas or California (or both) in them. Without "Match Any" checked, they would only get records with both Texas and California checked.

I just reread your question and I don't know what you mean by
Quote:
If i just Change the Select from multiple to
Single and add The Boxes or what?

You eliminate the select field and use 50 checkboxes. Or am I completely misunderstanding what you want?

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited July 10, 1999).]
Quote Reply
No what i mean i have the multiple select box That when you want to add a record to more than one state you press and hold ctrl button while choosing another state

But what if i keeep the select button (change From Multiple to single)and than create additional select boxes for more states
Expl:
user adds data to database he has to choose one state from select (pull down menu) but if he wants his state to be added in another state he just checks a %db_checkbox_fields with states without pressing ctrl and choosing another state from pull down menu.
It 's a one database .
Thanks Jpd For helping me again.
Quote Reply
So you want to have a select field for the states and 50 checkboxes? You could do that, if you wanted to, I guess, but it seems like a duplication of effort.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Yes but it will be a lot easier for the customer.Most people have problem with
ctrl key and keep asking me to change the
data afterwords.So it have to be simple
Quote Reply
It just doesn't make sense to me to have the select field if you're going to have the checkboxes, too.

But it's completely up to you.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
No the selected boxes will be for additional states
So if customer wants to have its record in 5 states he chooses the first one from select field but if he wants that his record be displayed in more than one state
that's where i want them to use a check boxes only on addition to database,the searches will remain from select field?
Quote Reply
Okay. I understand what you're doing now.

There might be a problem with your searches, though.

Let's say I add my record and the primary state I want is Washington. But I also check California, Oregon and Idaho.

How will you do the searches? Will it be on the primary field only? I don't know how, with a select field, my record would be returned if someone searched for Oregon.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Wright but what about if i created a file for each state will that change anything?
Quote Reply
A file for each state? You mean a separate database? Then, if I had a listing in WA, CA, OR and ID, you'd have all of my info in 4 databases?

Seems to me the best way to go about it is to forego the select field and just use the checkboxes. You could have a select field for the actual "home office" state, which would go with their address. That would make sense.

I have a little problem with helping someone do something I think is completely unwise. Most times, the person will eventually figure out how unwise it was and delete everything I gave them, so it's really a wasted effort.

Possibly if you would explain exactly what you're doing, it would help me.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Ok Here is the Story
I have Listening of Reposession companies
But Most of them Do bussines in more than 1 state so the first thin i asked was about multiple States ( back in March)
Now most people Have problems With CTRL + State to choose more than one state so they end up emailin me to fix Their Database
So i just wondered If that wouldn't be an easy to create additional checkboxes to add their records to database But than the problem with the search. so i do not know whot should i do .What u suggest ?
Thanks for all help JpD.