Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

More info...

Quote Reply
More info...
The application form used is allowed to go through the process of filling out. When you click on the submit button, thats when the error comes up.

The url is www.starkiller.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi if anyone wants to see.
Quote Reply
Re: More info... In reply to
I've seen things like this happen twice. One time the person had an email being sent when a record was added and the server had moved "sendmail." The other time was a problem with the .count file.

There isn't a limit to the number of records. I have over 1500 records in my database and it's working just fine.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I don't have it sending any email, so I am inclinded to believe it is not with sendmail. What kind of problem would it be with the .count file? And is there a way to fix it?

One other question... if we delete records in the middle somewhere... is there a way to "reindex" the db?

Thank JPD for all your help! =)

Ziggy
Quote Reply
One other observation... the database can be modified, deleleted and such... just won't allow any new entries. So maybe it is the .count file. What would happen if I zeroed out the .count file? or made it equal the number of apps that are actually there?

Quote Reply
The .count file needs to be the number (or one higher) of the last record number. This is assuming, of course, that you're using $db_key_track. (I always assume things and end up being wrong. Smile )

Take a look at it. See if it is within one or two numbers of the last record number that was added.

There is no way to reindex the files, unless you want to do it manually. Even so, it will change as soon as a record is deleted.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hiya JPD!!

I think I have narrowed it down. The ID field (which is also my key and does have a counter)will only accept 3 characters. Could it be that it is trying to make record 1000 and can't fit it in the field?

I have tried going into the default.cfg and making the field a bit bigger there... but doesn't seem to want to take.

I am also gonna look at the html.pl. See if that has a size setting there.

Ziggy
Quote Reply
That'll do it. If you kept the original field from the default database, it is set to a maximum length of 3.

Another possible thing to look for. Sorry you had to go through all this, but it'll be one more possibility the next time someone has a problem like this.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Well, changing the size worked... and now I am a happy camper again.. =)

Thanks for all the tips, JPD! You are a true blessing!

Ziggy