Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Keep bouncing back to login screen

Quote Reply
Keep bouncing back to login screen
This one has me! Uploaded dbman with all defaults intact except changed path to Perl in db.cgi and set up URl to script in default.cfg. Used ASCII and set permissions. No luck. Used JPDeni's instructions exactly and got to Main screen to add self. No luck. Found that nothing went to default.pass file. Using 5 other cgi programs at this site (lbscottishrite.com) and they work fine. You can see db.txt and default.text at wrcinfo.com. Pleeeeze help! Thank you in advance. Ken

Quote Reply
Re: Keep bouncing back to login screen In reply to
Ken, can't find your files, I tried www.wrcinfo.com/default.text and received an error page. Please indicate where your files can be viewed and I'll try taking a look again.

Quote Reply
Hi Karen. Thank you for helping. Looks like you used default.TEXT instead of default.TXT. I tried it and it seems to work OK. Would you mind trying again? Thanks - Ken

Quote Reply
Hi Ken,

Try removing the trailing slash from the path in db.cgi

$db_script_path = "/home/sites/www.lbscottishrite.com/web/domaincgi/dbman/";

If that doesn't resolve the problem, please copy your html.pl file as a .text file and make that available also.

In Reply To:
You can see db.txt and default.text at ...
You're right ... I didn't catch that the extension was wrong Smile Just did a copy/paste from your initial post.

Quote Reply
Hi Karen....... Removing the trailing slash from the path in db.cgi didn't work. My html.pl file is now in wrcinfo.com as html.txt. Sorry to be such a problem. Frown
Ken

Quote Reply
Hi Ken, there are no authorized users on your database Smile I was able to gain access using the default user however when trying to add a user, I was again directed to the login screen.

Have you uploaded the auth.pl file and the /auth folder (with the index.html inside) and set permissions for those files? Have you uploaded the default.pass file?

.../dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default

Quote Reply
Ken in default.cfg, try changing your default user settings from:

# Default permissions used if there is no authentication, or for a default
# user. (View, Add, Delete, Modify, Admin), 1 = enable, 0 = disable.
@auth_default_permissions = (1,1,1,1,1);

To:
# Default permissions used if there is no authentication, or for a default
# user. (View, Add, Delete, Modify, Admin), 1 = enable, 0 = disable.
@auth_default_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0);

and see if that corrects the login problem.

Quote Reply
That did it! Crazy I had set @auth_default_permissions = (1,1,1,1,1) in the default.cfg file and removed all data from the default.pass file because of JPDeni's instructions. I changed to @auth_default_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0) and returned the default data to the default.pass file per your suggestion and it worked!
Computers are strange and wondrous beasts................
Thank you Karen, thank you, thank you, thank you. Hopefully, sometime I can be of help to you. You can reach me through the websites given before....
Ken

Quote Reply
Having the same problem here :(
I've tried the suggestions you posted in this thread, but with no luck.

I have a successful DBMAN running on NT - and now that I have access to Unix, I'm attempting to MOVE my dbman to that server instead, but ...

On NT, once the user authenticated to the server, that information was passed to dbman and the login screen was bypassed. Now, even after authenticating to the server, the dbman login screen appears - which I can live with ... BUT, once I login and get to my "home" screen - ANY option I attempt pushes me right back to the login screen again. I have deleted the .pass file and allowed signup to recreate my userid - this works fine - writes to the .pass file, and recognizes me on login (displays all options including admin), writes my userid.timestamp information in the 'auth' folder, too. Apparently it's not carrying the information forward to the be processed ? After logging in, the URL that appears in the status bar (on hover) only displays http://my.server.com/path/dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=&whatever_else_here -- it seems to drop the UID information.

Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!

keienb

Quote Reply
It is rather tough to troubleshoot a problem without taking a look at the files Smile I'll give it a shot but, if that doesn't work you'll need to save your html.pl & default.cfg files as text files and make them viewable via the web if these suggestions don't work.

http://my.server.com/path/dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default

Try adding default as the uid and see if you can gain access to your files. (Make sure you have default user access available.)
# (1 = "yes", 0 = "no")
$auth_allow_default = 1;

Do you recall changes you made to the files to allow the server login to write to the logfile and 'auth' directory? Modifications had to have been made to the scripts to accommplish this task, if the mods were documented, you may be able to undo the steps. If not, you may need to download and compare to an unmodified version.