Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Just a couple of newbie queries re DBMan

Quote Reply
Just a couple of newbie queries re DBMan
Hi,
Hoping someone can help me out please. I've read through the Readme and uploaded the files into cgi-bin, created a directory called auth from cgi-bin which includes the defaulted index.html file included with the download. When I run the db.cgi from cgi-bin then I get the login screen come up (which is fine, 'cos I'm just playing/testing it at the moment), but on clicking on the Logon button then I get an Error 404 returned (ie. some page it cant find). I've got it set to auto-generate the HTML forms etc. Anyone any ideas? For some odd reason I cant chmod the files on my site at the moment (long story to do with Hypermart) - the settings are as follows - I think they are all ok except for the permissions on the auth directory - would that make any difference ?

drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp user 512 Apr 3 04:31 auth
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ftp user 6606 Apr 3 03:39 auth.pl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ftp user 45864 Apr 3 03:56 db.cgi
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp user 7604 Apr 3 17:49 default.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp user 2 Apr 3 03:39 default.count
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp user 6693 Apr 3 03:39 default.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp user 62 Apr 3 03:39 default.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 ftp user 143 Apr 3 03:39 default.pass
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ftp user 42987 Apr 3 03:39 html.pl

(Hmm, that looks a bit messy in this little box, I hope it looks better in the proper display - anyway, you'll get the idea).

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Just a couple of newbie queries re DBMan In reply to
The auth directory has to be set to

drwxrwxrwx (777)

The script has to be able to create a file within the directory.

Also, some of your other files have to have "write" permissions -- default.db, default.count, default.pass, default.log.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Ah, I did wonder if that might be the case (on the auth directory anyway). Well, I guess I cant test it out until I'm able to chmod them properly, but I very much appreciate your response.

Dave (alias Big George)

Quote Reply
Hi JD,
I managed to download a copy of WS_FTP which allows me to chmod the files - well, I've done that (albeit when I give auth rwxrwxrwx permissions then everything else also gets the same permissions) - anyway, I guess that's by the by, cos at least with those permissions then although security would be lax (I am only testing), then at least everything should work, but am still getting error 404's after entering as "guest" or whatever. Thing is I don't know what it's looking for, and with rwx permissions on everything then it can't be that. I even uploaded it all again - but still the same response - any more ideas.

Thanks,
Dave
Quote Reply
Could you give me a URL where I could look at the script in action?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi JD,
I actually just came back to post a comment (I didn't realise you'd already replied) to say that I finally figured out what was wrong. In short I was. (smile). I actually don't quite know how it got so far, but anyway, what it was was a pathname (I think it was for $db_script or something) in default.cfg. I'd changed it all ok to have my URL in the variable, but forgotten to take off the "dbman" - 'cos I'd put everything into cgi-bin, and not a separate directory - so it was looking for myURL/cgi-bin/dbman, when all it needed to look for was myURL/cgi-bin. So, anyway by playing around I learnt quite a bit about how it all works, hope I didn't waste your time - I really do appreciate your efforts to help me. I'm sure now that I'm a bit further forward then I'll be asking even more questions though.
Thanks again,
Dave
Quote Reply
No problem. It happens. Smile

I'm just glad you got it worked out. Also, I'll try to remember the next time when someone has a 404 error to tell them to check their paths.

Don't hesitate to ask a question. If I can answer it, I'll give it a shot.

------------------
JPD