Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Installation of the Demo

Quote Reply
Installation of the Demo
I must be missing something. I have been woking for hours to try and get the demo to run with the default DB.

When I run the db.cgi all I get is the Main Menu with the only options being Home and Logoff. The Home link refreshes the Main Menu the Logoff link takes me to the Gossamer Website.

I have tried it with the Auto generate forms option on and off no change. I even setup my own db definitions and emptied the default.db still no chg.

I havent been asked for a user id/password I havent seen any forms pages. Whats wrong.

TIA
S. Johnson
Quote Reply
Re: Installation of the Demo In reply to
What kind of server are you on? Unix? Win95? NT?

Are you using Xitami server software?

Do you have $auth_no_authentication set to 0?

I would not use your own field definitions to start with. Use the default database and fields to get the script working first. Then add your own fields. It's a lot easier to debug that way.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thank you for you prompt reply. I am on a unix system,apache server.

I managed to get up and running, I did edit the default db to what I wanted. and added an entry to the default.pass file using the default admin password in the entry. Only when I did this would I get the Main Menu with more than Home and Logoff.

I was able to add some records, change my password (that had originally been the default admin password. Add a user, and logon as him then add his record and modify it, while not being able to modify the other record.

I have this located on a secure, password protected server but would like the users to be able to chose and add a username /password so they can add their own records and modify them. I will be digging through the forum and website to find the answer to doing this. If you have any input I would appreciate it.

TIA
S. Johnson
Quote Reply
If you want users to signup online, set

$auth_signup = 1;

in the default.cfg file. Then set what they are permitted to do. From what you said, you probably want

@auth_signup_permissions = (1,1,1,1,0);

Be sure that you
1-- have a field for the userid if you want users to be able to modify only their own records

2-- set $auth_modify_own = 1;
if you want users to only modify their own records

3-- set the $auth_user_field to the number of the userid field (look for $auth_user_field near the bottom of the .cfg file)

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I am getting no Login option at the beginning of the session. I goto db.cgi get the Main menu. I goto add, get the form, add the info click submit, I then get the login screen. I login but then have to refill out the form to add a record.

I have reviewed all the config settings but also get no New user signup options.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Hi,

Well, the reason Logoff is taking you to Gossamer Threads anyway (in case you hadn't figured that one out yet) is because you haven't changed the $auth_logoff variable in default.cfg. Just change it to where you want it to redirect to on clicking Logoff.

Also, you mentioned that the script is located on a "password protected" server. Do I take this to mean you have it in a .htaccess protected directory? If you do, as far as I know dbMan logs a user in automatically when the user has been authenticated already by the server.

If you haven't already, take JPD's advice and start from the start, reupload everything editing only the necessary variables in default.cfg. And if you *do* have the directory password protected, just remove it while you're installing it, you can add it again later.

Cheers,
adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited May 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Since I have spent about 30 hours or so setting up the database and everything works except this password thing. I think I will try to refrain from doing it all over again. I did reinstall it a couple times, enough times that I have a pretty good feel for the program anyway. I had already figured out why I was going to the website, I just left it until I find something else to put there.

What really has me baffled is why I get a login screen after the add, modify, delete form instead of before.

The security for the Website is taken care of by .htaccess and if the program automatically logs you in as you say then that is something I can work with. It would be nice to know some of the .cfg file settings to work with this if you can get any info, I would appreciate it.

As I said if I manually enter user info from admin, everything works fine once I am past the login screen, its just that the login screen comes up after submitting the form but prior to it posting, and after the user info is loged in the form must be re filed and submitted, then the info posts to the dbase. Its strange.

I am sure this is not an insurmountable problem. I will just keep plugging till it works.

Thanks for the input I think I will trey turning of authentication next and see what happens.
Quote Reply
After being unable to run dbman from behind the firewall. I put it on another server. By just changing a few items of my previous installation the setup is now operating wonderfully on its new server. Thanks for everyones help.