Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Installation Problem

Quote Reply
Installation Problem
I have installed the default database on my server and have no problems running it. It is located at http://www.ou.edu/student/greek/pi-kappa-alpha/cgi-bin/db/db.cgi My own custom database, on the other hand, is another matter. I get a server error when trying to run it by adding "?db=alummail" to the above URL. I have placed the files in a directory so that anyone can look at them at http://www.ou.edu/student/greek/pi-kappa-alpha/dbmantest/ I have spent hours (no joke) trying to figure out what is wrong, but I am still no closer to getting it working. The file permissions are set according to the README.txt. Thanks to anyone who can offer some help.
Quote Reply
Re: Installation Problem In reply to
I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but I see a couple of things you probably need to change in your .cfg file.

You have $db_key_track set to 7, which is, if I understand it correctly the number to the key field. But your key field is an 'alpha' field that the users enter. The $db_key_track is only set if you want DBMan to supply a numeric key (from the .count file). Set this to 0.

You also have $auth_modify_own set to 1, but $auth_user_field set to -1. If you want users to be able to modify their own records, you will need a field to store the userid and enter the number of that field in the $auth_user_field.

I know you said you had set the permissions correctly, but I would try resetting them, just in case. With any luck, someone else will have some ideas about other things you might try.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Thanks for those suggesstions. I modified my .cfg file, but there must be another problem as it still will not work.

I reset all the file permissions, but no change. I know it can work, because the default database does. Could it be a problem with having the html forms auto-generated?
Quote Reply
I'm stumped. I don't know enough about the server errors to give you any help.

If it was me, I'd try turning off autogenerate, just to see if you can get to the login screen. I don't know why that might be a problem, but I'm prone to grasping at straws! Smile

Let's hope someone who knows more about this will see it and give a hand.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Strange that you get a server error instead of the error message.. Hmm.

I believe the problem is with your syntax:

For field name with spaces, they need to be in quotes. i.e. 'First Pref', not First Pref.

Sorry, this should be documented clearer. You can go to:

www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/dbman/build.cgi

and it will build a %db_def for you.

Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers,

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited January 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Alex--

Thank you! You were exactly right. Not having the ' ' around the %db_def field names was the problem.

There is just one small issue left. When I click on "List All" from the main menu, I get an error, "Reason: no search terms specified" A search for "*" in any field works just fine though.

The database is at http://www.ou.edu/student/greek/pi-kappa-alpha/cgi-bin/db/db.cgi?db=alummail The login/pass is test/test.

Thanks for all your help!
Quote Reply
The problem centers around your field name "Name Pref." It's your $db_key, so that's what it searches for. But you can't have a space in your URL. You have to replace it with a "+".

My suggestion is to set up your "List All" link like:

<A HREF="$db_script_link_url&view_records=1&Name+Pref=*">

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Thanks, that was it! Instead of changing my "List All" link though I decided to just change the "Name Pref" category to "NamePref" (no space) in case I decide to change the $db_key field in the future.

I am so impressed with the support for DBman and the flexibiity it offers. I showed it to my boss at work and now he is thinking of all kinds of applications for an online database. Smile

-GW
Quote Reply
That was the other option I thought of (deleting the space in the field name), but I wasn't sure you wanted to change every reference to the field in your html.pl file.

I agree. DBMan is a wonder! Just "out of the box" it's really flexible, but can be "taught" to do all sorts of fancy things with a little tweaking.

------------------
JPD