Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Error building select field: no select fields specified in

Quote Reply
Error building select field: no select fields specified in
I am building a prototype app just to learn DBMAN before I start on the real project. I got this error for radio buttons, select fields. text only and date fields work fine.
Is there a limit on length field name can be in these cases?
error building select field: no select fields specified in
config for field 'What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?'!
Quote Reply
Re: Error building select field: no select fields specified in In reply to
Yes...There is a maximum length attribute for fields in the default.cfg file.

To make the field bigger, you have to edit the following in your field in the default.cfg file:

Code:
[3, 'alpha', 40, 255, 1, '', ''],

See the 255...that is the maximum length attribute. Change to higher number if you like.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited November 24, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I see the max for the fields themselves at 255 or whatever. But what about the "field name"?
Quote Reply
RIGHT...I thought with my example, you would've gotten it. Look in the db_def section of the default.cfg. Edit the maxlength attribute of the field between the brackets.

don't know how clearer I can be about this.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
I do appreciate your help, but I think in this case you are misunderstanding my question. That increases the capacity of the field itself, but I am having problems that I thought might have to do with the *field name*. The name of the field not the *capacity* of the field itself.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what is causing this problem. Here is an example error:

error building select field: no select fields specified in config for field 'What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?'!

I am just doing a test db right now. I'm *not* computer illiterate but am just having a little trouble getting started.
Quote Reply
In terms of field names, you have to use underscore characters or single quotes around field names, like the following:

Code:
'What is your favorite Thanksgiving food' =>

Code:
What_is_your_favorite_Thanksgiving_food?

There is no "restriction" on field names. However, I would recommend using SHORT field names, like food or tfood. Having long field names is poor choice in terms of database development.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
The problem with short field names is that I am making an Online application which has to ask very *specific* questions which can't be changed. Some of these questions are very long.

Besides, with back slashes I think spaces are fine 'field name with spacess.' My Text only and longer text fields work fine even with the field names using spaces, so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe it is but i wonder why text fields work but I can't get the other types to work.
Quote Reply
I don't know why you are making this more complicated than it should be. Coding fields in short and unique names is easy to do and to remember. When you create your various forms, you put straight text with fields.

Welp, hope you figure this out. I have done everything I can to assist you.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
OK, I see, I can make a short field name that only I see in administering the dbase. The user who uses the form will see the long question. This makes sense.

Eliot, you seem a bit frustrated in trying to help me. I apologize for that, and I thank you for the help you have given me. You have made it possible for me to make good progress on my database. Thank you!

Neil