Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Defining Logon Authority:

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Defining Logon Authority: In reply to
It could be the number of input fields you have on your form. I ran into that one other time when I tried to have more than about 150 fields in a form.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JP....I was thinking along those lines myself.

Might have to figure something else.
Quote Reply
Okay....here's what's happening: (Both related)

Okay...I reduced the number of Input Fields and set autogenerate to "0". I assume this allows the default.cfg to create the pages rather than the html.pl, correct? In any case, the resultant "Add" page is displayed with short fill-in fields for each category selection. I want checkboxes. This should be correctable in the .cfg but I haven't found it.

With "autogenerate" set to "1", I again assume that this allows the html.pl to create the pages. However, the pages have a few flaws since it is trying to use information in the cfg to complete the page generation and the information is conflicting. I haven't changed the html.pl very much at all and now it seems to have reach a maximum capacity...will not let me add any more scripting. I need to add more scripting in order to create the page I want.

Question#1: Is it possible to create an HTML based form and direct the data to DBMan? I already have a form that is working, is it possible to redirect the data to DBMan?

Question#2: Is it possible to delete portions of the html.pl file and still get the darn thing to work. I am assuming that all rows of text preceded with an "#" may be deleted. Sounds dangerous, but am I correct?

:::Puzzled:::

[This message has been edited by JustJay (edited June 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Okay...I reduced the number of Input Fields and set autogenerate to "0". I assume this allows the default.cfg to create the pages rather than the html.pl, correct?

No. Setting $db_auto_generate to "0" means that you have edited the html.pl file to create your own forms and displays.

Setting $db_auto_generate to "1" means that the script will create the forms and displays based on your .cfg file.

Quote:
In any case, the resultant "Add" page is displayed with short fill-in fields for each category selection. I want checkboxes. This should be correctable in the .cfg but I haven't found it.

Set $db_auto_generate to "1" and make sure that your form length for you checkboxes is set to "0" in the field definition. You will see checkboxes.

Quote:
With "autogenerate" set to "1", I again assume that this allows the html.pl to create the pages. However, the pages have a few flaws since it is trying to use information in the cfg to complete the page generation and the information is conflicting.

As I said earlier, you have it backwards. The flaws that you see on the pages are probably due to mistakes in setting up your fields. Would you go into more detail about the flaws on the pages?

Quote:
I haven't changed the html.pl very much at all and now it seems to have reach a maximum capacity...will not let me add any more scripting.

There is no maximum capacity to the html.pl file. (I suppose if you made it really huge, it would overpower your computer's memory, but I've never seen one over 20K in size.) There is another problem going on here.

How will it "not let you add any more scripting"? What happens when you try? (Actually, until you have made sure your fields are set up correctly, you ought not to be worrying about the html.pl file anyway.)

Quote:
Question#1: Is it possible to create an HTML based form and direct the data to DBMan? I already have a form that is working, is it possible to redirect the data to DBMan?

Yes. You will not be able to require login for people to add, though.

Quote:
Question#2: Is it possible to delete portions of the html.pl file and still get the darn thing to work. I am assuming that all rows of text preceded with an "#" may be deleted. Sounds dangerous, but am I correct?

Yes, there are comment lines that can "legally" be removed, but I really think your assessment of the problem is incorrect.

Forget messing with html.pl right now. Set $db_autogenerate to "1" and see what happens. If you have problems, let me know what they are. Exactly. Copy any error messages you get and write down what you did when you got them.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JP....

Okay, default.cfg is set as follows:

# Auto generate the html forms (1 = Yes, 0 = No).
$db_auto_generate = 1;

Result:..Follow this address (temporary)
http://www.apds2000.com/cgi-bin/db/db.cgi?db=default&uid=admin.92967665476906&add_form=1
Quote Reply
I got an "unable to locate server" error when I tried your URL. I'll try again later, in case it's just down or really busy right now.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JP....Yep, it is correct. I haven't been able to get access either.
Quote Reply
I finally got through and I see what's happening. You have defined all of the checkbox fields in the %db_checkbox_fields section of the .cfg file, right?

This is something I have never seen before.

May I take a look at your .cfg file?

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited June 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I still can't access your server. Are you sure the URL is right?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
JP...here is the location of the file:

http://www.apds2000.com/cfg.txt

Enjoy! Drove me nuts last night!
Quote Reply
Justin,

You have %db_check_box_fields defined twice so I would assume the second one negates the first.
Your Code:

# Checkbox fields. Field name => 'Category Checkbox Field each characterized by their own field'.
%db_checkbox_fields = (
Archery =>'Archery',
Art =>'Art',
Bowhunting =>'Bowhunting',
Biking =>'Biking',
Birding =>'Birding',
Boating =>'Boating',
Camping =>'Camping',
Canoeing =>'Canoeing',
Climbing =>'Climbing',
Collecting =>'Collecting',
Conservation =>'Conservation',
Crafts =>'Crafts',
Diving =>'Diving',
Firearms =>'Firearms',
Fishing_Fly =>'Fishing-Fly',
Fishing_General =>'Fishing-General',
Fishing_Ice =>'Fishing-Ice',
Fishing_Saltwater =>'Fishing-Saltwater',
Gun_Dogs =>'Dogs',
Hiking_Backpacking =>'Hiking & Backpacking',
Horse_Packing =>'Horse Packing',
Hunting =>'Hunting',
Kayaking =>'Kayaking',
Miscellaneous =>'Miscellaneous',
Mountaineering =>'Mountaineering',
Muzzle_Loading =>'Muzzle Loading',
Paddling =>'Paddling',
Painting =>'Painting',
Photography =>'Photography',
Rafting =>'Rafting',
RVing =>'RVing',
Shooting =>'Shooting',
Skiing =>'Skiing',
Snorkling =>'Snorkling',
Snowboarding =>'Snowboarding',
Snowmobiling =>'Snowmobiling',
Snowshoeing =>'Snowshoeing',
Taxidermy =>'Taxidermy',
Travel =>'Travel',
Watercraft =>'Watercraft',
Wildlife =>'Wildlife',
);

# Radio fields. Field name => comma seperated list of radio buttons.
%db_radio_fields = ( Validated => 'Yes,No' );

# Checkbox fields. Field name => Checkbox value.
%db_checkbox_fields = ( Popular => 'Yes' ); REMOVE THIS LINE AND YOUR PROBLEM SHOULD BE SOLVED!

Also you realize that each check box selected will have the value of the category name as you have entered it. Each category is a seperate field and as a check box can only have one of two values checked or not checked the values you have defined means that the field 'Archery' will have a value of 'Archery' when checked.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mike1 (edited June 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
JP....

Will this delete the "Popular" field?
%db_checkbox_fields = ( Popular => 'Yes' );

------------------
So, would it be better to write it as:
Snowshoeing =>'Yes',

rather than defining it as "snowshoeing"?
Quote Reply
If you want to keep the 'popular' field just add it to the end of your first defenition of the checkboxes. It probably makes no difference but it is probably easier if you change the check values to 'yes'.

Mike
Quote Reply
The advantage to having the checkboxes set up like

Archery => 'Archery'

is that, when you make your own html file, you won't need to label the boxes. They'll be labeled automatically.

So you can have either

Code:
Archery: x Yes

or

Code:
x Archery

It's purely a matter of personal preference.

Thanks, Mike, for finding the problem. I'm in the midst of learning how to make graphics and I was creating piles of buttons this afternoon. Smile

------------------
JPD

> >