Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

regarding showing of login and email

Quote Reply
regarding showing of login and email
I've post this question b4..but would like to have ur suggestion.

As u can see, when user create new acct. (http://www.it-g.com/cgi-bin/friendsdb/db.cgi)After they login the first time, they will be direct to the "add profile". in the add profile, I have put up Login and Email field for the user to enter to store the data. at the short display, it will show LoginID, Email..etc etc. From here..the loginid and email extract the data which the user have entered in the add profile page.

can u suggest any simple way so that the user wont need to enter again (if the user go and change the login and email in the Add profile page, will it be update in the Password file?) and still i can extract the data out to the short display?

pls tell me if i am not clear enough Smile
Quote Reply
Re: regarding showing of login and email In reply to
You cannot change the login.

Didn't I read that you had installed the new secure_lookup mod? It includes a function for users to change their email address.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
yap..i did use that.

I'm kinda blur...
In the create acct page, when the user enter the loginid and email, it will store into the database (not the password file) using this mod in the db.cgi, sub get_defaults {

open (PASS, "<$auth_pw_file") or &cgierr ("unable to open: $auth_pw_file.\nReason: $!");
if ($db_use_flock) { flock(PASS, 1) }
@lines = <PASS>;
close PASS;
foreach $line (@lines) {
if ($line =~ /^$db_userid:/) {
@data = split /:/, $line;
$default{'LoginID'} = $data[0];
$default{'E-mail'} = $data[7];
last;
}

What if the user change his email? will it also update the LoginID and E-mail database? As i need all these data to show it out in the short display.
Quote Reply
not sure if i am clear..

Ok. this is what i have in mind.

User enter login and email in create acct page. I want the userid and email data to goes into the .db beside being store in the password file. so that in my short display, the LoginId and email field will grab the data from the .db.

Quote Reply
Right. The new password mod will pull the email address from the .pass file, if you implement the whole thing. It will change the email address in both the .pass file and the .db file when the user changes his password.

------------------
JPD