Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

linking a new page to record

Quote Reply
linking a new page to record
This may take a bit of time to explain, but if anyone can help I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've spent a couple days searching the forums and and hacking away at the scripts and finally have to admit that I don't know what I'm doing.

I am trying to allow viewers (with view access only) to click on a link (Review it!) at the bottom of a record that takes them to a page in which there is a form that gets emailed to the webmaster. I want a field in this form to contain some information from the db record (ie. title or organization name - which is $rec{'Organization'}). I was able to build the new page by adding a new subroutine to both the db.cgi page and by adding one to the html.pl page. The problem I'm having is that the record field information ($rec{'Organization'}) is not making it onto to the new page.

The code I've added has been largely taken from the preview mod. I'm incorporated the short/long mod, and various others over the past 9 months that I've working with dbman.
Here's my code:

To db.cgi I added this elseif to all the elsif statements :

elsif ($in{'review_record'}) { if ($per_view) { &html_review; } else { &html_unauth; } }

and this to the db.cgi:

sub review_record {
if ($status eq "ok") {
&html_review(@hits);
}
else {
&html_view_failure($status);
}
}

Then I added this form (which calls up an external form-to-email script into &html_review:

sub html_review {
# --------------------------------------------------------

$page_title= "Reader Review";
&html_page_top;

$submit_button = "View Records";
$reset_button = "Reset Form";
&html_record(%in);
# < -- Start page text -- >
print qq|
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

<table>
<TR><TD COLSPAN="2" ALIGN="left" VALIGN="TOP"><$font_color><b>What do you think? Give us a Review of $rec{'Organization'}"</b></FONT></TD>
<TR><TD>$nbsp</td><TD><$font><form METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://www.pathtoformmail/">

<input type=hidden name="recipient" value="$admin_email">
<input type=hidden name="subject" value="Review of $rec{'Organization'}">
<table width="680" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" align="center">
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="TOP" width="150" height="29"><p>Your name</p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475" height="29">  <input type="text" name="name" maxlength="25"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="TOP" width="150"><p>Your email</p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475"><input type="text" name="email" maxlength="25"><i><font color="#FF0000">optional! </font></i></p></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="top" width="150" height="235"><p>Comments</p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475" height="235"> <textarea name="comments" cols=60 rows=15 ></textarea></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="middle" width="150" height="57"><p>
<input type=hidden name="redirect" value="http://www.gokid.org/html/thankyou_main.shtml"></p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475" height="57"> <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="submit"></td>
</tr>
<p> </p>
</table></form>
</Font></TD></TR> </table>

and finally this is the link at the bottom of the html_record_long subroutine for displaying:

print qq||;
if ($rec{'Organization'}) {
print qq|
<TR><TD ALIGN="left" VALIGN="TOP" colspan="2"><$font><b>

Post Your Own Review </b></font></TD></tr>
<tr><TD ALIGN="left" VALIGN="TOP" colspan="2"><$font>Join the conversation and tell us what you think of $rec{'Organization'}.
<a href="$db_script_url?&db=$db_setup&review_record=1&uid=default">Review it!</a></font></td></tr>
<TD> </td></tr></table>
</body>
</html>
|;
}

Help! I don't know if i should modify the sub record_review, the sub html_review, or the link that calls up the form in order to get $rec{'Organization'} to show up on the form.

Thank you so much.

Quote Reply
Got it! - linking a new page to record In reply to
Everything works fine now. I needed this statement in the new subroutine:

$in{$db_key} =~ s///g; %rec = &get_record($in{$db_key});

And needed to call up the key by adding the $db_key=$rec{$db_key}& to the URL link:

<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&review_record=1">

So now my "mod" for a new page that I'll use as a "reviewer's" form is as follows:

### To db.cgi, add

elsif ($in{'review_record'}) { if ($per_view) { &html_review; } else { &html_unauth; } }

###To the bottom of the html_record_long, add a link to the html page with the "reviewer" form:

print qq||;
print qq|

<tr><TD ALIGN="left" VALIGN="TOP" colspan="2"><$font>Join the conversation and tell us what you think of $rec{'Organization'}.
<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&review_record=1">Review it!</a></font></td></tr>
<TD>&nbsp</td></tr>
|;
}

###Then in html.pl add to the bottom of sub html_record:

print qq||;
print qq|

<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&review_record=1">Review it!</a></font></td></tr>
<TD>&nbsp</td></tr>

###Add the following subroutine to the html.pl

sub review_record {
# --------------------------------------------------------
$in{$db_key} =~ s///g; %rec = &get_record($in{$db_key});

$page_title= "Reader Review";
&html_page_top;

$submit_button = "View Records";
$reset_button = "Reset Form";

# < -- Start page text -- >
print qq|
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

<table>
<TR><TD COLSPAN="2" ALIGN="left" VALIGN="TOP"><$font_color><b>What do you think? Give us a Review of $rec{'Organization'}</b></FONT></TD>
<TR><TD>$nbsp</td><TD><$font><form METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://www.path/to/Matt'sFormMail/onmyserver.pl">

<input type=hidden name="recipient" value="$admin_email">
<input type=hidden name="subject" value="Review of $rec{'Organization'} in ">
<table width="680" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" align="center">
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="TOP" width="150" height="29"><p>Your name</p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475" height="29"> <input type="text" name="name" maxlength="25"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="TOP" width="150"><p>Your email</p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475"><input type="text" name="email" maxlength="25"><i><font color="#FF0000">optional! </font></i></p></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="top" width="150" height="235"><p>Comments</p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475" height="235"> <textarea name="comments" cols=60 rows=15 ></textarea></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="Right" valign="middle" width="150" height="57"><p>
<input type=hidden name="redirect" value="http://www.pathtothankyouforplaying.html"></p></td>
<td valign="TOP" width="475" height="57"> <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="submit"></td>
</tr>
<p> </p>
</table></form>
</Font></TD></TR> </table>

</body>
</html>
|;
}